The Power of Now By Eckhart Tolle

Firstly, I had trouble in getting the book from Amazon as quickly as possible, so I was not able to read the entire book. But from as much as I was able to read, I can say that it was very highly prepared and motivational. It reminded me of The Secret by Rhonda Bynes, but this book was more of a spiritual guidance like the Bible. When I was a little girl, I use to go to church almost every week on Sundays with my mother in Brooklyn, New York. When I had move to Trinidad to go to school, from my years of pre-teen and early teenager, I would go to church almost every week on Sundays with my great grandmother or on Saturdays with great aunt. I say this because since I was little, I have always been trying to build a connection with God and allow him to come into my life by going to church and reading spiritual things. But to be very honest, I have never succeeded or really gave it a good fighting chance. I believe that this is also because of the family and friends around me, for very few of them pray and give thanks.

The book consists of the introduction, ten chapters, notes, acknowledgements, and about the author. “Chapter 1: You Are Not Your Mind, Chapter 2: Consciousness – They Way Out of Pain, Chapter 3: Moving Deeply into the Now, Chapter 4: Mind Strategies for Avoiding the Now, Chapter 5: The State of Presence, Chapter 6: The Inner Body, Chapter 7: Portals into the Unmanifested, Chapter 8: Enlightened Relationships, Chapter 9: Beyond Happiness and Unhappiness There Is Peace, Chapter 10: The Meaning of Surrender.” By the title of these 10 chapters, I found them to be very diverse.

As I read through the introduction, it gave me a very detailed, informative, and pulling motivation on what I was going to read and feel in each chapter. “The Truth That Is Within You.” (Tolle 6) As I saw that quote, it made me wonder on if I was really about to find out the whole truth inside me. The introduction also states, “The pause symbol .S’ after certain passages is a suggestion that you may want to stop reading for a moment, become still, and feel and experience the truth of what has just been said. There may be other places in the text where you will do this naturally and spontaneously.” (Tolle 8) This showed that the book was definitely working for the ones that read it to get a true feel from what he was implementing. I also found myself, while going through the table of contents to see what each chapter was highlighting, I was really intrigued on how the book would make me feel at the end.