7 Habits

I think the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, seems to be a slight contradiction of the secret because it says that: “we are not our feelings, not even our thoughts, but we are our habits.”

I find it weird that the introduction (inside out) and the foreword are a lot longer than the average, aren’t introductions supposed to be short? Lol. Nevertheless, I fully agree with what was said on page 26 “if we want to change the situation, we must first to change ourselves.” I guess it is a bad habit that many of us have.

Other wisdom nuggets that I found here were: “into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil” (page 30) and the quote of Elenore Roosevelt: “no one can hurt you without your consent” (page 80). It is true that anything that come into our hands we can either turn it into something good or bad.

In essence the first habit, Principles of Personal Vision, says that a proactive person does not blame the external conditions, but he/she creates her own or look for alternatives.

The example of the bite of the snake kills you faster if you go chasing the snake perfectly portrays people who react aggressively to whatever life throws at them. In other words,  if we react (violently or negatively) instead of being proactive, we are actually making the situation worse.

I understand for proactive, not just having a positive mindset but also acting upon it.

It was funny the example of the husband not loving his wife anymore on page 8,  and the author telling him to love her, love her…”because when there is no love, the proper thing to do is to create it.”

The author further explains that highly proactive people sometimes have to accept problems and learn to live with them even if he/she doesn’t like them. The reason behind this is that if we don’t accept it and continuously get angry, we are giving the “problem” control over us.