People’s Choice Post #1: The Secret

As you know, throughout the semester, I am going to be choosing a “featured post” (or “posts”) for each blog assignment, to highlight examples of successful blogs (AKA, “Professor’s Picks”). But … what I might find compelling or well-done in a blog post might not be the same thing as your peers do. Enter “People’s Choice Posts,” which allow the students to read and honor awesome writing by their classmates (or themselves!). This also helps to bring student voices into the course more fully, as each student’s blogs become (required) reading for the course.

Here’s how it will work. Read through your classmates’ reading response blogs on “The Secret” and choose your favorite post. You can choose a post for any reason, but you always must clearly articulate your rationale for choosing it (e.g., why did you find it interesting, compelling, likeable, provocative, etc.?). This rationale can refer to content, style, creativity, etc. If, after reading everyone’s posts, you strongly feel that your post is your “favorite,” you can always vote for yourself, but you need to provide a rationale for doing so.

In order to register your vote for this week’s “People’s Choice,” “leave a reply” to this post, and in your comment, provide your chosen post, an excerpt from it + rationale for choosing it. Provide the title and author of the chosen post, along with a link to the post you are citing (please provide the link in the same comment: don’t make a separate comment with just the link). Citing is really important (in this case, citing your classmate!), and this is a way of giving credit to other sources and putting yourself in dialogue with them.

Comments/votes are mandatory, should be made no later than Thursday, 2/11 at 9am: the person with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor for this round of posts! I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why.

12 thoughts on “People’s Choice Post #1: The Secret”

1. My People Choice goes to Robby Deleon for his post on “The Secret”. https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-sp2021-eng3402/2021/02/08/673/

I really likes how personal his post was, he connected his views on the book with examples of his life and a story about an experience he went through in the 6th grade,

“I want to mention something this text reminded me of, and thats the time I experienced something similar to this. I remember when I was in 6th grade, on the first day of class, my teacher told us we are expected to come in next monday with a green folder. Over the course of the weekend I forgot about it and sunday night was when I remembered. I was worrying because it was too late to go and buy one and it would be too early to go and get one the next day before school. So I kept searching through old supplies I left lying around and didnt find anything. Lastly, I searched in a closet where leftover school supplies was and inside a white bag was nothing inside, nothing but one folder that happened to be green. It was satisfying but scary with how lucky I got, it genuinely felt like the work of a higher power. The point of saying this is to let it be known that coincidences happen and that’s most likely how this idea was formed. Crazy coincidences occured and eventually it was brought up that they weren’t coincidences but a “Law of attraction”.” (Deleon, The Secret Blog Post)

1. My People Choice goes to Crystal Pichardo for her post on ” The Secret”

The Secret

I chose Crystal’s post because I believe we both had similar interpretation of the book. On one hand I believe that positive affirmations and thinking can improve your way of life. But with those thoughts, it also needs to be a followup with action for anything to actually work. Crystal states
      “I think this may help people become more positive individuals which is a good thing and to some extent thinking more positively does bring back good energy/karma, but just counting on things to come to you instead of doing things to get there may slow your progression”, and I think that’s the exact idea I took away after reading the book.

2. My People’s Choice Posts also goes to Robby Deleon for his blog post on “The Secret”.

Robby Deleon “The Secret”

I’m choosing this post because Robby brought up a lot of valid points that I hadn’t thought of in the same way as him when I first read it, but that I also agree with. In his blog post he states, “At first I thought it made sense, If I envision myself passing a test, chances are that would raise my motivation to study for the test which leads to me passing. However, that wasn’t exactly what was being explained. I misunderstood and believed that the positive/negative thoughts that were being discussed worked as a chain reaction that changed our actions and the way we do things which would obviously effect us. I was wrong, the idea was that our thoughts are so powerful that they alone are creating these things that happen to us. That sounds crazy and impossible.”.
    When reading the book and seeing all the successful stories that were told it was easy to become fed into what the book is saying. People could get the idea that everything they want will be given to them by the universe and that there is no need for work on their end.

3. My People’s Choice goes to Reem for her post on “The Secret.” https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-sp2021-eng3402/author/reemcitytech/

I chose her post because I enjoyed how she connected with the section of the book that discussed, “The powerful process of visualization.” She stated that she is a visual person, where most things that she enjoys are creative things and when being creative you always have to visualize your piece coming to life. She also goes on to say that she enjoys graphic design and freelancing art, where many time people have seen her work and have not understood it at first and that is when you have to tell them trust the process. She went on discussing the book by referencing the quote, “Your wish is my command!”
    She stated that this wonderful story demonstrates how your whole life and everything in it has been created by You. The Genie has simply answered your every command. The Genie is the law of attraction, and it is always present and always listening to everything you think, speak, and act. The Genie assumes that everything you think about, you want! That everything you speak about, you want! That everything you act upon is what you want! You are the Master of the Universe, and the Genie is there to serve you. The Genie never questions your commands. You think it, and the Genie immediately begins to leverage the Universe, through people, circumstances, and events, to fulfill your wish.
    I totally agreed with what she said, especially when she mentioned another quote about visualization. “Visualization is a process that has been taught by all the great teachers and avatars throughout the centuries, as well as by all the great teachers living today. The reason visualization is so powerful is because as you create pictures in your mind of seeing yourself with what it is you want; you are generating thoughts and feelings of having it now. Visualization is simply powerfully focused thought in pictures, and it causes equally powerful feelings. When you are visualizing, you are emitting that powerful frequency out into the Universe. The law of attraction will take hold of that powerful signal and return those pictures back to you, just as you saw them in your mind.” (Byrnes, page 81)

4. My People’s Choice goes to Crystal Pichardo for her blog post

The Secret

Crystal has a format to her blog that feels very informing and well put together. If I had never read “The secret” I could’ve picked up instantly on what to expect from the book if I read Crystal’s response. While I do feel like everyone gives a pretty good idea in their response about what the book is about, in this paticular blog Crystal does a good job of breaking down the book with tons of information along with giving her own opinion at the same time.

For example, she states “According to Byrne the steps to the secret are 1) asking and 2) believing. You don’t need to ask questions like how– the universe will just provide. The question of how displays lack of belief. If any action is needed it will be asked of you in a clear way.” This type of breakdown is, atleast to me, very important when making a response. I personally didn’t do this in mine because I was so fixated on expressing my disagreements but I really like this and she does it over and over again in this blog. She also says “Byrne states that the feelings you have are important because they tell you what you are truly thinking, and these feelings are your guides to putting your thoughts back on the right track.” She follows this up with an explanation on what “secret shifters” are and gives a great idea on the topic to anyone who wouldn’t know.

She also does a great job giving her own thoughts such as when she says ”
    In the self-help book, The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, Byrne teaches us that the way to achieve the things we really want in life is through the law of attraction. The law of attraction is the secret to attaining the things we desire. Byrne also explains that through the law of attraction we already are where we are now. This concept works simply through our thoughts. Our thoughts are magnetic (they attract what we think) and they constantly attract new frequencies. She gives us the example of being wealthy. If you want to become wealthy you need to have predominant thoughts of wealth, you need to visualize and feel that wealth, and you can’t have feelings of doubt. Most people go about this the wrong way and think about the things they don’t want. The universe doesn’t understand words like “don’t”, “not”, or “no” (Byrne 14). Putting out of the thought of something negative only attracts more of it. Another problem some people face is that they fear loss of wealth once they have it which does lead to that loss.

Byrne states that the feelings you have are important because they tell you what you are truly thinking, and these feelings are your guides to putting your thoughts back on the right track. A key strategy to change a bad thought to a good one quickly is through your secret shifters. Your secret shifters can be anything that you know will instantly change your mood to a better one like a certain memory or a favorite song. Having more than one is important in case one of them doesn’t do the trick. Learning how to meditate also helps clear your mind of bad thoughts.

According to Byrne the steps to the secret are 1) asking and 2) believing. You don’t need to ask questions like how– the universe will just provide. The question of how displays lack of belief. If any action is needed it will be asked of you in a clear way. Being thankful for the things you have now is also important as it helps to shift your energy. Another thing to be mindful of is if something goes wrong at some point throughout your day, at night replay those events the way you wanted them to go and you will be putting out a more positive frequency.

The extra chapter I chose to read is titled “The Secret to Money” (found on pages 95-112). I chose this one just because I am a bad saver and wanted to see if there were any tips specifically for that, and because I am currently unemployed and wanted to see what would be discussed. In this chapter Byrne states that you have to shift your thoughts from lack-of-money to more-than-enough money (Byrne 99). Not having enough is caused by mentally blocking the flow of money from coming to you. First you need to be content with what you already have and understand that your source of money doesn’t need to just be your job. You also need to start saying you can afford things and give back when you can (not sacrifice). According to Byrne, giving back shows that you have plenty and so the flow will be reciprocated back.

Personally when I read these few chapters of The Secret, I didn’t pick up on anything that sounded out of the ordinary. The main message was just sort of repeated throughout the book. I have heard of manifesting before (this is what the law of attraction sounds like to me) and although I’ve never tried it, it does seem intriguing because I have had friends tell me that it’s worked for them. But I believe that action on one’s part is needed in order to attain the things in this book.” That right there is almost exactly what I was trying to say in my response. One’s thoughts can not be the reason for change if their actions do not change. The amount of legendary sayings that everyone has heard that are specifically about that, “Don’t think about it, be about it” means just that. Now while I’m not saying she completely agrees with me, she shows that she would agree with my idea atleast a little.

So when her response consists of a great breakdown of the book, an actual personal opinion on the book, and an opinion that I can reason with, I feel like giving Crystal my vote is an obvious choice.

1. No worries Robby … it happens! I know you had emailed me about this too. Do you have the option to “edit” your comment (you will see the word “Edit” next to the timestamp of the comment)?

1. Ok, no worries. In the future, you can always post again, and then we can delete the original later if necessary. Good to always do a round or two of editing/revising before posting, though, to catch anything before the comment goes live. Of course, it’s not always possible to catch everything every time, but it does help overall 🙂

5. My Peoples Choice Post #1 pick is Crystal Pichardo.

The Secret

When going through the readings I’ve found her message to be clear and had enough supportive quotes from the book. Her post was persist and easy to follow. She took her time to explain things and reached the required response length.
    I agree with the repetitiveness she pointed out and also with the fact she found good in a book that was otherwise absurdly controversial.

6. I vote for Aryanna Smith because I agree with her point of view of the Secret to the World.
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-sp2021-eng3402/author/aryanna1/
    I concur with her on the fact that ” life is complicated” and that it requires more than just irradiating good vibes/thoughts.
    As she mentioned, it is not that the book is entirely wrong. Indeed, thinking positively may be the first step towards a fulfilling life, the second step would be more like writing a plan with a timeline, and the third step is perhaps working on that plan to make things happen, etc. =)