The Machine stops

“The Machines stops” by E.M Forster’s is a  science fiction based story which shows how advance technology is used on a everyday basis to make life easier for humans that lived in the southern hemisphere  . It’s almost like paradise if u ask me, with the advancement in technology  life was like living in a utopia for Vashti , she even looked up to the machine as if it were a God “sitting up in the bed , she took it reverently in her hands. She glanced round the glowing room as if some one might be watching her. Then, half ashamed , half joyful, she murmured O Machine! O Machine!”. Vashti found it very hard to go visit her son kuno who lived in the northern hemisphere an environment where manual labor was required. With the machine coming to a stop all hell was about to brake loose.                                                                                                         In her paradise Vashti was so used to being isolated from everyone that she didn’t even feel the need to visit her son Kuno who lived in a region she viewed as a dysotopia . When Kuno contacted his mom asking her to come visit him she immediately thought it wasn’t a good idea telling him  “I dislike seeing the horrible brown earth, and the sea, and the stars when it is dark”. The machine was beneficial to Vashti and others in numerous ways but it also caused isolation between them and their family, at a young age the machine would take the kids from their parents and raise them. The only time Kuno and Vashti seen each other were through video calls “I believe that you pray to it when you are unhappy. Men made it, do not forget that. Great men, but men. The Machine is much, but it is not everything. I see something like you in this plate, but I do not see you. I hear something like you through this telephone, but I do not hear you. That is why I want you to come. Pay me a visit, so that we can meet face to face, and talk about the hopes that are in my mind”. Kuno wanted to see his mother in person but she didn’t want to leave she was more focus on being  loyal to the machine, “there was no harm ,But also no advantage on The surface of the earth it’s only dust and mud, no life remains on it, and you would need a respirator, or the cold of the outer air would kill you. One dies immediately in the outer air”. Kuno told his mother that the machine would soon come to an end and that people who depended on it have very little chance of survival or progress,  “the machine is stopping, I know it, I know the signs” said Kuno.                                                           The reading “The Machine Stop” , showed how vashti who lived in the southern hemisphere where she relied on a machine to fulfill her needs causing her to be distant from her son Kuno who lived in the northern hemisphere where manual labor was required . Vashti was brain washed and was willing to abide by what every the machine had planned for her but with the machine coming to stop survival is at edge for vashti and others who depended on the machine.

One thought on “The Machine stops

1. Thanks Kelz for this post!

A friendly reminder to categorize your posts correctly (please edit your post, check “The Machine Stops,” and update it) to get credit for your work. Also, you see how your post appears with a grey background (and doesn’t display your name or the post title, on the main page), which is different than the others’ posts? Please keep the “Format” “Standard,” instead of “Aside” (you can go in now and edit/update your post too to fix that). I’m happy to show you after class what I mean, if this is confusing 🙂

Finally, as per the Blogging Guidelines, you should “title each blog with a concise, relevant title that clearly reflects the content of your contribution,” not just the name of the text, which is generic. Going forward, please experiment with titles that reflect the focus on your post.