Artificial Intelligence and Humanity Concerns

We’ve received most of our knowledge about Artificial Intelligence from many type media content like Terminator, I, Robot, and Bicentennial Man in the last century. What we have witnessed is that the AI has been represented in either a negative or positive character in the stories, but now AI has become our reality in our everyday life. People will take what they have learned about AI and most likely lean to the negative idea of either AI “Going to take over the world” or “This is the end of humanity.” Fortunately, AI is in its infancy stage of development and the closest thing to AI we carry around every day is Apple Siri that we accept freely. Currently, AI that’s in development at the moment Narrow AI or Weak AI which control facial recognition or even driving an automobile. With the continued advancement into Artificial Intelligence, the concerns and fears the people are having are how this advancement will affect my way of life for me and rest of humanity? While these advancements are being developed, will their ethical guideline be set in place? Will AI programming goals align with humanities?

While watching Westworld, the character by the name of Dr. Ford stated a comment that resonated with me, “Evolution forged the entirety of sentient life on this planet using only one tool The mistake. I flattered myself we were taking a more disciplined approach here. I suppose self-delusion is a gift of natural selection as well. Indeed it is. But, of course, we’ve managed to slip evolution’s leash now, haven’t we? We can cure any disease, keep even the weakest of us alive, and, you know, one fine day perhaps we shall even resurrect the dead. Call forth Lazarus from his cave. Do you know what that means? It means that we’re done. That this is as good as we’re going to get” (41:50). It seems that we are on the verge of heading down this road, but we are still unaware of what outcome we will end up with once we reach our goal. Currently, they are talks from Alphabet, Amazon, Facebook, IBM and Microsoft about setting Ethical guidelines when creating AI, so it will not completely disturb our environment or way of life.

Good: “Will AI programming goals align with humanities?” When AI comes to full bloom in our reality, there a high possibility that we would have created a sentient being that surpasses our intelligence. Which can be a tool to help deal with the other issue like world hunger or even advancement in the medical science like in the movie Bicentennial Man.

Bad: “While these advancements are being developed, will their ethical guideline be set in place?” Creating AI to control weapons system can have an adverse effect on the world and the survival of the human race. With a lack of ethical guideline can lead to this possibility.

Ugly: “With the continued advancement into Artificial Intelligence, the concerns and fears the people are having is how will this advancement affect my way of life for me and rest of humanity?” Creating sentient beings that can replace the human race on many levels such as longevity and intelligence.

Top 9 ethical issues in artificial intelligence

Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence

9 Key AI Ethical Issues & How to Handle Them

Why Asimov’s Three Laws Of Robotics Can’t Protect Us

After 75 years, Isaac Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics need updating

MEPs in ‘urgent’ call for new laws on artificial intelligence and robotics