The Influences D-503 got in his life

The Book WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin was a curious book to read, especially focusing on the main character, which was D-503, notice, how the main characters name is a number instead of being a name. In the One State, D-503 is the engineer of building the integral (spaceship), which the one state will be using to introduce other planets of their way of living. D-503 lives in the One State, ruled by the Benefactor. He has a high position in the One state and is asked to record Journals of he way of living. While reading this book you have to notice the main characterā€™s way of seeing things. The way his mentality is changed. D-503 being introduced to a girl named I-330 causes him to question his way of living, causing him to intend to betray of One State.

Claim 1

I-330 makes D-503 fall for her, making him discover a feeling he had never encountered before by consuming something that is not allowed in the One State.

ā€œa mouthful of fiery poison flowed into me- then more, and moreā€¦I broke away from the earthā€¦.rushed down, down, along an unknown, uncalculated orbitā€¦it has never occurred to me before..(56)ā€.

Claim 2

On unanimity Day I-330 caused uproar by voting Against the Benefactor with a group of people causing a side of D-503 to wake up.

ā€œWho is against?ā€™ā€¦It took one hundredth of a second: I saw thousands of hands swing up-ā€œagainstā€-and drop. I saw the pale, cross-marked face of I-330, her raised hand. Darkness fell on my eyes. (143)ā€.

Claim 3

D-503 falling in love for 1-330 makes him leave behind everything he once believed good of the One state.

ā€œWell, you are sick, you have committed crimes because of meā€¦ And now, the Operation-and you will cure yourself of meā€¦Well, im waiting. Make your choice: the Operationā€¦orā€¦ ā€˜ I cannotā€¦without you. I want nothing without you (185)ā€.