In the novel “Feed” by M.T Anderson its book based on futuristic theme. The characters have a chip installed I their head called a feed. The feed acts like a computer where they surf the web, shop for clothes and search up information. Even though the feed is good it has a powerful negative impact if it malfunctions. But threw this novel Titus and his friends show you different uses for the feed.
What is the feed purpose?
• The feed is needed because it helps them stay in contact
• It’s helps them research answers or shop online or stream music or chat with friends.
Is the feed good or bad?
• Violet thinks the feed is bad because everyone is smart but not every one retains the knowledge.
• Titus thinks the feed is good because it makes life easier and he compares it back when people had to carry laptops around now the feed is internal.
Bad effects of the feed.
• The bad effects of the feed if it malfunctions like violet did you can lose your memory.
• It blocks your ability to research actual knowledge.
Innovations and inventions has become part of corporations in order to get an edge in a competitive market with little or no regard to consumer safety, product quality and standards.
The safety concerns exhibited by FeedTech Corp in the M.T Anderson Feed text is a gross example. Although the text is base on imaginary world but the reality is that consumers face such safety concerns in their everyday transactions. The claims of safety and product standards could be noted from the words of Violet. She said
“I lost a year. During the seizure. I can’t remember anything from the year before I got the feed”
Another point of claim is according to Violet’s dad “We Americans” he said, “are interested only in the consumption of our products. We have no interest in in how they were produced, or what happens to them.”
Finally the response received from FeedTech after the petition threw me away when Nina said, “I’m here to inform you that FeedTech Corp has decided to turn down your petition for complimentary feed repair and/or replacement.”
I intend looking at consumer safety and product standards by corporations. Are corporations actually serious about the safety of those that maintains their being into business and why should Violet left to suffer? What happen to those without the feed? And what will happen if the feed is removed once fixed? These are some of the unanswered questions, I intend to focus on.
The book feed by M. T. Anderson is a novel based on Titus and his friends who visit the moon and they meet this girl named Violet who changes the way of seeing society and on the problems that are really being faced. Violet proves to Tirus and his friends that theres more to then just the feed. The feed is a device that is implanted in their heads which gives them the abilities to have acess to the internet 24 hours a day they can buy and chat through this device,it is basically used for everything. What this device is doing is that it is keeping them away from what is actually going on around them in reality.
What is going on:
- The changes in the environment such as limited air,the beach water, the beef country,trade marked clouds and The skin peeling off everyone and everyone becoming bald.
- The pop ups and ads distracting them.
- Feed not letting them see the truth,it being hidden from them .
What is the device doing:
- Creating Pop ups,ads,and commercials that keep popping up on theyre feed and distracting them.
- Keeping them away from whats going on environmentally.
- Keeping them away from physical and verbal contact, the M-Chat stops them from having an actual conversation or relationship.
Examples of when the feed was distractive:
- (125) Violet and Titus father argue over the air factory and how the air is limited. This shows how biolet is the only one aware of the environmental issues going on while everyone else is not aware.
- (99) when Violet is doing her experiment and she walks in a store and theyre attacked by ads and pop ups. This distracts them and doesnt let them concentrate on what they really want because the feed convinces them on something else.
- (199) when theyre at the party and marty chats and says the Lesions look good and sexy because you can see Quendys tendons and ligaments. Its a virus and its something that they dont realize because in the show “Oh! Wow! Thing!” Its a trend.
- (180) Violet and Titus chat instead of actually talking when theyre with eachother. They do this to avoid akwardness and emotions when theyre with eachother.
- (179) When Titus and Violet are at the beach and they have to use suits to protect themselves from the smell and water.
- (201) when Violet goes crazy at the party and she starts to scream at everyone so they listen to what is really going on in the world and to not just use the feed Because those society problems are more important then the feed use itself.
In the third chapter of feed they show us how the relationship between Titus and Violet developed. They go back to the earth and the feed worked again. Everything returned to normal. Titus picked up Violet and they both went to the party which Titus was invited to by Quendy, they celebrated and their feed was reunited. Even though Violet never been to a party before she was really excited to go to one because she only saw parties on feed. After the party Titus explain the dream that he got which was he can play any game he wanted for free from the feed but only in his sleep. After Titus got a heartbreak from Violet he looses his mind. He could not stand being around Violet for some time but he explain that he was going mal weakens him. Also at the ending of the book Titus realize that him and Violet forever and forever I just a dream and never going to be reality. Before Violet’s death she wanted to experience so many things that she never experienced before in reality. She stated on page 229 that “definitive list of things I want to do.” She meant that she want to do all the things she desire before she dies. Violet also tried to talk to Titus through messaging but, Titus failed to reply because he didn’t see the point of chatting with violet because she was soon going to die. Even though both Violet and Titus have feelings for each other, they have changed from the beginning of the book to the end. Their feelings have changed for each other because of the different challenges they have faced through life.
In the novel feed, we learn that feed is a chip that is put in the brain. This chip controls their thoughts, emotions, memories and movement. Titus is the narrator of the novel, throughout the book we have learned how feed controls and effects Titus and his friends.We also learned how they can’t resist because surrounded by it.It’s everywhere there is no run away only death. Violet was different from all Titus friends (Link, Marty, Quendy, Calista and Loga)
- Why is the feed important to them
-feed is the internet in their heads it’s easy for them to access to anything.
– They chat and stay together even when they are far
- What are the effects of the feed
-once they get feed they can’t live without it (violet’s story)
– Feed controls their emotions and their thoughts
- How the feed controls them.
-The feed is eaten them pg202
-feed is everywhere they can’t resist it
In this society we’ve learned that everyone has this device thats planted into their brains that gives them access to buy products, communicate, get cheaper prices for products and to find information. This device is called the Feed which serves as its purpose to be the internet in your head. As we meet these characters we see that many of them are just really blinded by the Feed except one that is resisting it her name is Violet. Violet is really unique compared to Titus and his friends because she sees the world in a different way and her living situation is different as well.
How She resists the FEED
- She whispered “Complicating. Resisting.” pg.99
- “What do you think about resisting?” she asked me really hard.” pg.103
Why is she different from the rest
- “Your life …. it must be kind of strange” pg.138
- Violet got the feed when she was 7 because her dad couldn’t really afford it
- “i got the feed later . . . than some kids” she said “i got my feed really late”
purpose for the Feed
- To give you updates on whats going on and whats the new trend
- Advertising for you could spend money
- listing products and comparing their prices together
In order to have and use the feed credit is needed. Titus and the teenagers have plenty of that. They purchase what they want, go to the moon and even get stoned. They seem unaffected by the world beyond the feed. When Titus meets Violet, he is exposed to something different. Although, he worries about whether he is smart enough, they develop a relationship. After they survive the hacking of their feeds, they bond. Although their friendship seems strained, Violets opinions and looming demise change him. The device they carry in them keeps track of their habits in terms of consumerism. What it cannot do is control what is in the heart.
While on a trip to the moon, Titus sees Violet and in that moment that is all he wants.
p.13 “She was the most beautiful girl, like, ever.”
p.17 “I followed her when I could.”
p.22 “The girls lesion was beautiful. It was like a necklace. A red choker”
They go to the mall where Violet exercises her right to fight the feed.
p.98 “I am not going to let them catalog me. I am going to become invisible.”
p.99 She whispered, “Complicating. Resisting.”
Since Violet got her feed later than most and her father bought the economy model, she is not recovering from the hacking experience on the moon.
p.153 ”Someone was just nosing around my feed, checking out my specs and sending me all these images.”
p.129 “Something just won’t work for an hour or two. My finger or something.”
p.180 “You know the part that’s the really ironic thing? The guy? The hacker? You almost agree with him. He completely fucked you over, and you almost agree withhim.”
Titus can’t deal with the thought of Violets’ health issues and he erases her list.
p.253 “I am going to tell you everything. Some day, I might want you to tell it back to me.”
p. 254 “ I sat on the sofa. I looked at the fireplace. I had deleted all her memories.”
Violet was barely breathing and Titus returns to give her his memories.
p.294 ”Two days later, I went to visit her.”
p.297 “They say we’re all crossing the bridge of dreams together That there is nothing more than that. Just us, on the bridge of dreams.”
Thanks to Sal for posting last week’s class notes (on Part 3 of feed) and to Mylisyaa for posting class notes from the week before (on Parts 1& 2).
Tomorrow we will continue our discussion of feed as well as our work on creating effective arguments and analysis. Just a friendly reminder that you should do the following in preparation for tomorrow’s class:
- Finish feed and blog in response to Part 4 no later to tonight (thank you to those of you who already posted on this final section of the novel).
- By the start of tomorrow’s class, you also need to complete your Essay #2 Pre-Drafts (thesis paragraph/Introduction + 3 claims/topic sentences + 6 pieces of supporting evidence–quotes + citations) on feed. Post it to the blog and bring four printed copies to class. Don’t wait until the last minute to print your papers: you should NOT show up late to class because you are still trying to print.
- Each group was supposed to have posted their notes (thesis/claims/evidence) from class group work last week by last Wednesday. Thank you to Kimberly/Julie/Mildred/Yang Yang & Sal/Luciano/Pat for doing so on time. The other three groups should post their notes immediately (make sure you list your topic and all of your group members’ names).
I know many of you have strong reactions to how things play out at the end of the novel … I look forward to a great discussion tomorrow about the reading 🙂
M. T. Anderson’s Feed is about a group of teenage friends, that have the feed installed in their heads. The feed is basically like the internet, which allows them to purchase, chat, watch shows and do many other things in an instance. Having the feed in their head made it very convenient for them to be able to do those things anytime, anywhere. Titus is the narrator as well as the main character and his friends are; Violet, Link, Marty, Quendy and Calista. Titus and Violet start a relationship which lasted a few months, but eventually ended a few days before she died. The group of friends try to keep themselves entertained with the feed, different types of games, visiting places, but even with all that entertainment, boredom also comes across. Entertainment can keep people happy and motivated, but when it gets to the extremes, it can change everything around.