1. Read Parts 1 & 2 of feed and blog in response (don’t forget to think through the text in relation the Utopian & Dystopian Framework that I handed out in class). We will be spending all of class on Tuesday discussing the first parts of the novel, and you should come in prepared for this discussion, and for freewriting and a quiz on the assigned reading.
2. Essay #1 Final Drafts are due (portfolio folder & e-mailed file) by the start of class. Make sure to review the Essay #1 Assignment and the Essay Guidelines (for formatting, electronic submission) before submitting your final draft. You can also find the Peer Review Assignment (that we did in class last week) on our site, if you want to use it to revise your new drafts.
Keep in mind:
- The key to strong/successful essay is to move from summary to analysis/critical thinking/argument. Instead of merely summarizing Turkle, Marche, or Catfish, you should put some text (either the movie Catfish, or a concrete/specific personal experience) in conversation with the Marche or Turkle readings. To do this, you will need to provide specific quotes from Marche or Turkle (that illustrate the concepts from them you are using). Then, your essay should help your readers to understand these texts (the documentary or your experience) through the lens/theoretical framework that Marche/Turkle provides. For example, you way to provide an analysis of how Angela, in Catfish, “curates” her identity. Or, you may want to look at how, in your own experience, people use social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) to form superficial connections. The key, in either case, is to provide specific, concrete details (rather than a very general discussion) and a focused analysis.
- Your Introduction (thesis paragraph) should provide an overview of your argument in the essay (your thesis statement should be the final sentence of this first paragraph).
- Consult the Writing Resources page for more help on structuring your essay (in particular Gordon Harvey’s “Elements of Academic Argument”).
- You may also want to visit the City Tech Learning Center for additional feedback on your writing.
- You should include a complete, fully revised Cover Letter as the first page of your Essay.