“Is Facebook Making Us Lonely?”

I joined facebook in 2010. I had approximately 345 friends. 75% of whom I have never met in real life. I’m also a member of 41 groups on facebook but only active in 4.  I sometimes post and also comment on different posts. The groups I actively participate in are Sierra Leone Issues, online salone, exzenithors, and fullah progressive union.

Mario Colao knew binge drinking, smoking and overindulging in food were slowly killing him. So he stopped, cold turkey. Learn about his 200 pound weight loss journey and see his awesome transformation: http://cnn.it/1eJCkJD via CNN Health

My activities on facebook include chatting, posting, liking and commenting. I check my account 2 or 3 times a day with an average of 15 minutes per logon. I have uncountable like pages which includes City Tech, Sport world, CNN, BBC Africa and few others.

The question by Stephen Marche “is facebook making us lonely”? I will say loneliness is a relative term. Facebook had never made me lonely rather it makes me feel fulfilled and happier.

Barrie: I was this young the last time I saw Ms. Jalloh

Most of my childhood friends that I had no clue of there whereabouts are being found through facebook. Recently, I got connected with Ms. Jalloh after 12 years. She’s currently living in Staten Island and we are in constant touch as bosom friends.

Despite the connection of old and new friends, facebook is the greatest source of information for current happenings in my country, I felt at home.  At any given time, I have a minimum of 10 active friends online.

In page 1, paragraph 2, the article states “within two week, by technocrati’s count, vicker’s lonesome death was already the subject of 16,057 Facebook posts and 881 tweets”. This is a clear manifestation of Facebook fulfillment in our lives. It doesn’t only connect us but also enable us to express our thoughts and perception on topical issues thereby making us less lonely.

It’s hard to distinguish what constitute loneliness. On page 5, paragraph 4, the article states “A recent study out of Australia (where close to half the population is active on Facebook), titled “Who uses Facebook?” found a complex and sometimes confounding relationship between loneliness and social networking”. Facebook is a social networking site that has eliminated social loneliness to a greater extent for instance when I’m bored, I logon to my account and engage on either chatting with friends, watch posted videos or read different posts.

I see myself happier, connected and less lonely with the social media. I learnt new things or see amazing things every time I’m on facebook. It gives me the optimism and motivation to face real life challenges.

Barrie: Facebook is a great source to find your lost friends.

One could not totally disagree with the article statement on page 5, paragraph 4 “Facebook users had slightly lower levels of “social loneliness” – the sense of not feeling bonded with friends – but “significantly higher levels, of family loneliness” – the sense of not feeling bonded with friends”. That could be a point but looking at the definition of social media – it’s the interaction among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. This definition excludes family ties. It could be true, people might be too engage on social media with little or no time for their immediate family but that doesn’t mean loneliness, sometimes, it can be bored listening or discussing the same topic over and again.

Facebook made me fulfilled. No more loneliness.

Depending on individual perception and commitment one should outline the buffer zone between social media and family affairs, priority should always be given to family but in generality, Facebook has been a fulfillment to my life and I believe to the lives of many.