The Flight From Conversation and Saving the Lost Art of Conversation

The articles¬†The Flight From Conversation¬†by Sherry Turkle, and¬†Saving the Lost Art of Conversation¬†by Megan Garber, are both about the ideas that Sherry Turkle has about how technology influences conversations. In the article¬†The Flight From Conversation, Sherry Turkle talks about how people are always on their devices, whether its at home, or on a date or at a workplace, and how conversations are being made a lot on devices rather than in person. She points out that we’ve gotten accustomed to a new way of being alone together. Two people can be in two separate places all alone and somehow still be connected so that they are alone together by their devices. A part of the article that caught my attention was when she says that “maintaining eye contact with someone while you text someone else; its hard, but it can be done.” This catches my attention because I agree with it. I personally do this often, where I text someone or use my cellphone while having a conversation with someone in person and trying to maintain eye contact with them so that they won’t think I’m not listening to them when I am, while I’m really just multitasking. I prefer texting someone instead of talking to them face to face most of the time because I can organize my thoughts before I say them instead of just talking and trying to say what I have to without it coming out the wrong way. Another reason I prefer texting instead of having a conversation face to face is because I like to avoid awkward moments which brings me to the article¬†Saving the Lost Art of Conversation. The Article mentions that “Conversations, as they tend to play out in person, are messy- full of pauses and interruptions and topic changes and assorted awkwardness.” I agree with this quote because communicating in person pressures you to say what you have to say on the spot with the risk of saying something the wrong way or order accidentally. It also causes pauses in your conversation when you’re trying to gather your thoughts on what you are about to say or discuss.

In the article¬†Saving the Lost Art of Conversation, it states that “The internet is always on. And it’s always judging you, watching you, goading you.” I agree with this because often, people are always being judged or watched on the internet. I can connect this quote to one in the article¬†The Flight From Conversation, which states “Texting email and posting let us present the self we want to be. This means we can edit. And if we wish to, we can delete. Or retouch: the voice, the flesh, the body. Not too much, not too little- just right.” Since people are always being judged, it’s good that devices and the internet let us be seen the way we want to be looked at. These articles have made me realize that devices really do have an big impact on how we communicate with others.