Lost Conversations In Modern Day

In both articles, “Saving the Lost Art of Conversation” by Megan Garber and “The Flight From Conversation” by Sherry Turkle, are related in many ways. They speak of how conversations are beginning to dwindle thanks to technological devices. Such devices are mostly phones, tablets, and computers, where social networks can be easily accessed. Social networking allows one to become a certain persona in which they use to digitally interact with others. This new way of “interacting” with others has become overly used that nowadays, people do not take into account their surroundings. Whether they’re in a park for a stroll, on a date, or even in family gatherings, many are constantly on their networks.

One line from the article “The Flight From Conversation” that caught my full attention was, ‘Texting and e-mail and posting let us present the self we want to be. This means we can edit. And if we wish to, we can delete.’ Turkle describes how anything that one uploads can be changed and adjusted to one’s satisfaction. If one doesn’t find an e-mail convincing enough, they will edit. On the contrary, when one speaks and accidentally hurts another person in doing so, they cannot take back what has been said; therefore, leading to a complex situation. Words that have been spoken cannot be edited.

Another line from the article “Saving the Lost Art of Conversation,” Garber states, ‘she occasionally touches my forearm…than of my wit.’ Garber describes how Sherry Turkle engages her to have her full attention on her. The manner in which she uses has grasped Garber’s full attention. In my opinion, I think that Sherry Turkle’s way of speaking and having a conversation is one of the most effective methods to have someone’s full attention.