Professor Belli | Fall 2022 | City Tech

Week 15: Monday, November 28 – December 4

Hi everyone, and happy Monday! I hope that you all are coming back from the long weekend feeling a bit more restored.

It’s hard to believe, but the end of this week is December!! That means we’re in the final push of the semester, with just under 4 weeks left. I’ll be sharing the work / plans for the final portion of the semester next week, but for now, we’re going to focus entirely on finishing up your Unit 3 projects.

Full first drafts of Unit 3 (both your New Genre piece & your Artist’s Statement) are due Wednesday at noon (12pm). The rest of the week will be devoted to Peer Review of this work and revision of drafts. I want you to be as successful as possible in your revision and turn in the most polished final drafts you can, so I’m extending the deadline for Unit 3 final drafts to Sunday, 12/4 at 11:59pm. The Schedule has been updated accordingly.

It’s important that you submit your work (both first and final drafts, as well as feedback for your peers) by the stated deadlines. If you have any questions about how to submit your Unit 3 projects via Dropbox (the Schedule provides instructions, but you may want additional clarification since it involves two files this time around), make sure to ask well in advance of the deadlines.

I’m available to provide additional support to you as you work on finalizing your Unit 3 projects through Friday afternoon. Comment below with any questions, or send me an email. I’m also back to my regularly weekly Office Hours this week, and you’re all welcome there on Thursday (11:30am-12:30pm) to discuss your Unit 3 projects or anything else related to your work in the course.

A friendly reminder, also that, re-visiting the available resources for this Unit will be helpful: the Unit 3 assignment, Unit 3 Writing Workshop, Time Management Class Discussion, and the Know-Your-Publication and Know-Your-Mentor Text Writing Workshops. I encourage you to also make use of previous material from the semester (e.g., integrating quotations, reverse outlining, citing, revision, plagiarism, etc.) — you can simply scroll back on the Schedule and look through previous Weeks’ content and also visit the “Resources” menu on our OpenLab course site.

Finally, it was lovely to see your gratitude comments from last week — thank you for sharing!

I know that this time of the year (and semester) can be quite difficult: feelings of stress, burnout, & overwhelm all creep in. In times like these, it’s important to connect with the positive emotions and experiences that sustain us and that help to buffer against these more challenging emotions. With that in mind, for this week’s low-stakes discussion, we’ll be exploring joy.

Drop a comment to share something that brings you joy, & why. It can be anything, big or small, as long as it’s something that fills you with joy. I encourage you to add media (images, videos, audio, artwork, etc.) to your comment to better communicate your joy.

As always, everyone should comment at least once, by EOD (end of day) today, Monday, 11/28.

Thanks all, and have a wonderful week 🙂

1. Henry Ren

Something that brings me joy is trying new things or new hobbies no matter how small or insignificant it is. This could be digital such as photoshop or using real-life skills such as cooking. Doing something new feels good and everyone should explore it.

2. Brandon Rivera

Some of the things that bring me joy is listening to music, playing story-driven games, sim racing, and talking to my friends. Since I don’t have a specific genre of music I like, I have an endless amount of music to listen to and enjoy. With the break, I was able to return to sim racing since it’s been a while that I played. I struggled with the layout of the tracks. But when I got the hang of it it felt rewarding and I enjoyed it very much. I was going to attach a video of a lap I did but the file size was too large.

3. Jamani Anderson

The things that brings me joy is peaceful music , drawing, writing, nature, and cooking.

4. Neal Ross

Reading brings me joy, Not assigned readings but novels of my choosing, reading just puts a smile on my face and when I find a new book that I love it reinforces my love for reading and makes me seek out more books that I would be interested in. My favorite book is “The Song Of Achilles”, everyone needs to read it if they have not done so already.

• Jill Belli

Thanks Neal for the book recommendation. I haven’t read it, but it looks fascinating (especially as — in addition to English — I was a Classical Studies / Ancient Greek major in college)!

5. Khandoker

For now watching the World Cup gives me great pleasure. Hope you guys are doing something you enjoy.

6. Jill Belli

Thanks all for sharing (and keep the joy coming everyone!). Sunshine & silliness are two (of the many) things that fill me with joy 🙂

7. Jill Belli

Unit 3 Peer Review is now live. Check out my most recent post (also now linked from the Schedule) for more details. Happy peer-reviewing!

Friendly reminder that I have Office Hours tomorrow (11:30am-12:30pm) if anyone wants to drop in to discuss their Unit 3 projects with me as well 🙂

8. Jill Belli

Thanks for all your work on peer review — feel free to continue the feedback and dialogue in Perusall today and tomorrow, to continue to support one another through the final stages of revision.

A heads-up that, as promised, the Dropbox link for Unit 3 Final Drafts (due 11:59pm on Sunday, 12/14) is now live on the Schedule.

Looking forward to seeing your final drafts of these projects in just a few days. Happy revising, and have a wonderful weekend :