So far, I’ve basically only completed the road map and structured out two different introductions trying to see which one would transition better and set the tone better throughout the entire blog. I’ve been catching up on other classes, but now I have much more time to actually complete the piece. My roadmap/goals are outlined before the start of my final draft.

Henry Ren

DATE

Professor Belli

UNIT 3

Title: How Does Music Play a Role in Civil Rights Movements (Subject to change)

Goal: I will convey the idea that music has a lot more meaning than just entertainment and has played a significant role in the past and recent years through civil rights and racial injustice protests/movements in America. My target would be mainly millennials and those who don’t know the symbolism, message, and importance of music throughout society.

Introduction: I’d like to start with a brief introduction to what is music in today’s eyes and explain its importance. I will connect that to a serious event that happened in recent years such as BLM marches and the involvement of music. (end of intro)

Transition + Paragraph 1: I will transition and expand don’t the idea of how music played a role in BLM marches using Kendrick Lamar’s song, Alright, and People’s Magazine Publification. I will specify a main point within the beginning of the paragraph.

Quotables:

Q1: “The result was the grammy-award-winning album To Pimp a Butterfly, and his “unapologetic” song “Alright” that would quickly transform into a protest anthem.”I really agree with this quote and how the song was “unapologetic.” The song was later quoted as a “middle finger” by Moore and how that was what they needed. I like that because it really shows how influential this song alone was and how it became an anthem for Black Lives Matter.

Q2: ” “You have these two different elements colliding at the same time. You have soul music, which is Black music. And you have very aggressive rap lyrics as well,” he continues. “That’s what I meant when I [wrote in the book], ‘It was a middle finger to the man.’ Because it was. It was unapologetic. And I think that’s what we needed at the time.” ” Here, Moore states that it was unapologetic and what they needed. The “Black music” refers to Lamar’s iconic way of rapping over vocal pads and gospel-like music, representing the soul of Black Americans. The “unapologetic”/”middle finger” refers to how the song tackles the issue and tells them that regardless of their situation, they’ll be alright.

Supporting Details: I will convey a complete analysis of the author’s work and my thoughts to provide evidence to my claim.

Source : Gillette, Sam. “How Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Alright’ Became the Protest Song of the BLM Movement.” Peoplemag, PEOPLE, 22 Oct. 2020, https://people.com/music/how-kendrick-lamar-alright-became-the-protest-song-of-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

Transition + P2: In my second paragraph, I will use Aloe Blacc’s 2016 TEDxTalks. I will provide his credibility, a quick summary of his speech, and the main point.

Quotables: (I will limit myself to only 2 since these are lengthy.) (Quotes are subject to change, these are just the ones I written in my annotated sources since they caught my eye)

Q1)”When Marvin Gaye stood his ground he believed so much in his message that he knew that these words needed to get out he knew that he could say through song what so many other people felt. He said, “I’m not a poet, I’m not a painter, but I can do it with music.”

Q2)”I wanted to use the music video to discuss immigration to humanize immigrants because the story is so near and dear to my heart being the son of immigrants. So in the video, I depict the migration of the family from Mexico to Los Angeles and the lead character in this music video is a girl named Hareth. In real life, Hareth is a dreamer. A dreamer as a student who is going to school in the US, but is undocumented and she is granted the right to continue her school. And also in real life, Hareth’s father is an undocumented worker who was going through a deportation hearing. Luckily and thankfully, after the release of the music video, Hareth’s father was able to stay in the United States. His case was closed.”

Q3)”Marvin Gaye inspired me to make music with a message and my purpose as a songwriter is to make positive social change and that can either be through the lyrics that I write, songs that I sing, or publicly sponsoring or supporting the issues that I think are important.”

Supporting Details: I will convey a complete analysis of the author’s work and my thoughts to provide evidence for my claim.

Source: Blacc, Aloe. “How ‘Message Music’ Inspires Social Change | Aloe Blacc | TEDxWestBrowardHigh.” YouTube, TEDxTalks, 19 Apr. 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2mpE6Nwh2g&t=732s

Transition + Paragraph 3: I will quickly introduce Greg Tate (Music journalist) and his importance and credibility in the music industry as long as his influence. I will quickly summarize his speech and provide the main point.

Q1) “Cooke had been chastened to rein in his Harlem-style full-tilt boogie by an earlier Copa performance that prompted a chilly response from the predominantly non-black audience. When Cooke went in to record A Change, he had already bent and yoked himself into acceptable form for those Americans not acculturated to the fire-and-brimstone emotionality of black Pentecostalism and uptown R&B. His intentions with Change could not have been more apposite and carried none of the self-neutering baggage of his Copa crossover.”
Q2) “Nevertheless, the after-life of the composition in the African-American protest hymnal canon finds it still essential and indelible. In the Smithsonian National Museum of African History and Culture, which opened in 2016, there is a space for reflection designated as the ‘Contemplative Court’, where A Change Is Gonna Come is inscribed on the walls, looming like an everlasting mantra for meditation”

Q3) “Sam Cooke never got to bear witness to his song A Change Is Gonna Come becoming the unofficial anthem of the civil rights movement. Or how its prophetic lamentations would reverberate across the decades to become a rallying cry for Barack Obama, and Beyoncé, well into the 21st Century.”

Source: Tate, Greg. “A Change Is Gonna Come: One of Soul’s Greatest Songs.” BBC Culture, BBC, 14 Oct. 2020, https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20201013-a-change-is-gonna-come-one-of-souls-greatest-songs#:~:text=Sam%20Cooke%20never%20got%20to,well%20into%20the%2021st%20Century.

Conclusion: I haven’t really mapped out the conclusion yet. I wanted to stick to a similar conclusion to my RAB unit 2 assignment, but I also want it to be less lengthy. I was thinking of ending with a quote by someone recognizable by anyone.

The main points in my conclusion will be: What I wanted to achieve, what I achieved, what I learned, and my personal thought about the topic at the end and who I want to pick this up.