Reading his article actually opened my eyes to the realization that I fall under a lot of writing factors that annoy Stedman. I for the most part already knew that my use of sources is not the best, but I did not realize how accurate he was for the most part. I had a writing phase at one point where I would start and end paragraphs with quotes because the teacher “wanted to make the audience think when reading.” Though I also do follow some of the fixes Stedman stated, he quickly said that readers would be frustrated by “why you used so many quotations” which I don’t think I overquote, but I do think I overextend on that quote, and either capture things that aren’t needed then proceed to also explain that part that plays little to no relevance to the entirety. Overall, what Stedman says is pretty accurate to me and I agree with what he says for the most part. The majority of the “annoying ways” I use sources are due to bad habits that I picked up while in school.

(Taken from my second source entry)

Music does not have to just play a role in the present. Music can be seen as a way to immortalize the voice and embed it in history where that artist can inspire many, decades after they have already died. One example of that happening is how it inspired Aloe Blacc, a modern-day hip-hop artist who inspired millions. In a video taken from Blacc’s TEDxTalks, Blacc states, ”Marvin Gaye inspired me to make music with a message, and my purpose as a songwriter is to make positive social change and that can either be through the lyrics that I write, songs that I sing or publicly sponsoring or supporting the issues that I think are important.” Gaye was an artist from the 60s who mostly made r&b soul music about love, lust, racial inequality, and a need for change, things millions of Americans could relate to. As an artist, Gaye’s goal was to unify everybody, fight AIDS, and fight for justice for everybody through his music. His music had message and that message was read to many around the globe, one of them being Blacc who chose to create his own music and spread his own message using his own voice. Even decades after Gaye’s death, his music is immortalized and plays an inspiration to many such as Blacc.