Professor Belli | Fall 2022 | City Tech

Week 9: Monday, October 17 – Sunday, October 23

Hi everyone, and happy Monday! I hope you all had enjoyable and restorative weekends, and are ready to hit the ground running this week with research.

Thanks to all who posted their research question posts last week … I really enjoyed reading them and learning what interests you and what you plan to explore for Unit 2. As promised, last week I left detailed feedback for everyone who submitted a post on time, offering suggestions for revision. Remember that topics have to be approved by me, so you’ll want to submit your revisions ASAP.

Researching will help you as you work to to refine and focus your topics. This week we have a Writing Workshop on Library and Research Resources offered by Professor Berger (a librarian here at City Tech) that will help you with all aspects of the research process. I’ll also be posting additional content in the (existing) Unit 2 Writing Workshop, offering pro tips for proposal revision, research, and source entries. This will all guide you in conducting research and creating your first source entry, which is due on Wednesday.

Later this week you’ll be reading and annotating an essay on genre and blogging in response, as well as continuing to research (on your own) for Unit 2.

In exciting / happy news, this Thursday, October 20, is National Day on Writing! Not only is this an important day celebrating writing, it’s an (optional) extra credit opportunity for you. Yay!

There is detailed information about all of this week’s work, as always, on the Schedule page.

Make sure to submit that first source entry on time (W 10/19 by 12pm), so that I can provide feedback to you on it via OpenLab comment on individual posts / holistic comments to the class. Please be respectful of the Schedule / deadlines, my time, and your classmates’s time (we will be doing peer review for Unit 2 going forward as well). If you are having difficulty keeping up with the work, it is your responsibility to reach out to me: email me (ahead of time!) and come see me during my Office Hours to discuss options for getting back on track.

Please also accept my apologies in the delay in posting an update about grades / course progress (I have been quite sick lately, so am a bit behind as a result). I will be posting soon on that front, and definitely in advance of the “midterm grades” deadline on 10/27 (if you don’t know what that means, don’t worry about that right now. I’ll be making a post explaining what midterm grades are and how to check them that the week of 10/24). I appreciate your understanding and patience 🙂

Friendly reminder that my next Office Hours are on Thursday (10/20) from 11:30am-12:30pm via Zoom. Feel free to pop by to discuss your research project, get feedback on your work / progress in the course more generally, or just to say hi!

And as always, comment below with any questions you might have for this week’s work.

We’ll continue to use this space to have low-key conversations to support one another and to build community.

Therefore, the first thing you should do for this week (after reading this post and the Week 9 Schedule) is to comment below. This week, you should post a photo that you took & tell us what it is, when you took it, & why you chose to share it with us. Everyone should make at least one comment, and then comment on others’ contributions as you feel inspired to do so.

Thanks everyone for your continued hard work, and have a wonderful week!

1. Brandon Rivera

Good afternoon, I have updated and revised my research question. Let me know if there is anything else I should do to make it better. I also attached a picture of the game Cyberpunk 2077,I enjoy using the photo mode and am glad people are now appreciating the game because of the recent show Edgerunners.

• Jill Belli

Thanks Brandon for sharing this photo! Is this something you took yourself while playing the game (e.g., a screenshot)?

I’m glad to hear you revised your research question post too! Please leave this update on that individual post as a comment as requested, so I know to go back and re-read it there.

• Brandon Rivera

Yes, I did take this screenshot while playing the game, and I will also add a comment on the updated post. Thank you.

• Jill Belli

Great, thanks!

2. Jill Belli

Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing OK … it’s been very silent here this week …

A friendly reminder that low-stakes comments/photos were due early this week. Please pop in to get your voice in the mix today. Below are the instructions, again:

“Therefore, the first thing you should do for this week (after reading this post and the Week 9 Schedule) is to comment below. This week, you should post a photo that you took & tell us what it is, when you took it, & why you chose to share it with us. Everyone should make at least one comment, and then comment on others’ contributions as you feel inspired to do so.”

• Jamani Anderson

Good afternoon professor Jill Belli for some reason its not allowing me to upload my picture for some reason.

• Jill Belli

Hmm — that’s odd … you should be able to post a photo. Is there a particular error message that you’re getting?

• Jamani Anderson

no error message really its just that every time I try to upload a photo it would upload but I wouldn’t be able to see it on this post so yeah

• Jill Belli

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble — you should be able to post a photo. Please make sure your browser (and operating system) is up-to-date, and if the problem persists, email the OpenLab team to get further assistance: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/blog/help/openlab-help/

• Jamani Anderson

its still not working 🙁

• Jill Belli

Sorry to hear. Please contact the OpenLab team to troubleshoot further.

3. Jamani Anderson

Good Afternoon Jill Belli I have revised. my research question, please let me know if their”s anything else I need to focus on more, Here”s a picture of nature I recently went to up state New York close to the border of Canada to go see the Niagra Falls back on May 19, 2021 and The experience was nice and everything. I chose to share this with others so they can enjoy peaceful experience like this as well.

• Jamani Anderson

Good Afternoon Jill Belli I have revised. my research question, please let me know if their”s anything else I need to focus on more, Here”s a picture of nature I recently went to up state New York close to the border of Canada to go see the Niagra Falls and took a picture of it off of my drone camera back on May 19, 2021 and The experience was nice and everything. I chose to share this with others so they can enjoy peaceful experience like this as well.

• Jill Belli

Thanks Jamani — I replied to your revised proposal as a comment on that post.

4. Jamani Anderson

I recently went to up state New York close to the border of Canada to go see some parts of nature and took a picture of it off of my drone camera back on May 19, 2021 and The experience was nice and everything. I chose to share this with others so they can enjoy a peaceful experience as well.