Professor Belli | Fall 2022 | City Tech

Week 7: Monday, October 3 – Sunday, October 9

Hi everyone, and happy (rainy, cold, windy!) Monday. Hope you’re all staying as warm & dry as possible.

Please accept my apologies for this post coming later in the day than expected. But no worries — you have until Friday at noon to complete all work for this week, so you can space it out as you see fit for your needs / schedules.

(Speaking of schedules, remember that there are no classes scheduled for Tuesday/Wednesday this week)

This week we’re continuing to ease into research, exploring what it means and what makes us, as individuals, curious about certain topics. To get the ball rolling, we’ll start with a Class Discussion on what counts as research, then read/annotate/discuss two readings in Perusall, and then you’ll post individual blogs about your own experience with curiosity and research topics.

Later this week & next week we’ll be taking a deep dive into the Unit 2 assignment itself through a Writing Workshop. I’ll also be rolling out various other content to provide additional support and feedback to you, and to guide you in other low-stakes activities (e.g., brainstorming and freewriting) to prepare for Unit 2. So be on the lookout for updates posted here on the OpenLab course site. All details, as always, are posted on the Schedule page.

Friendly reminder that my next Office Hours are on Thursday (10/6) from 11:30am-12:30pm. Feel free to pop by to discuss potential research topics, get feedback on your work / progress in course, or just to say hi! We’ll also continue to use this space to address any questions you might have for this week or thoughts you’d like to share with the class, so drop comments on this post if you’d like. Totally optional, but encouraged!

I would love to hear (“see”) everyone’s voice in the mix here this week. So even if you don’t have a question about this week’s work, everyone should still drop a note here, say hi, & tell us something about how things are going for you. You can share something interesting you did recently, something you’re excited about, how your semester is going, post a photo you took and tell us why you like it … anything really. It would be super-awesome if you would also ask a question in your comment to engage the other students (and on the flip side, if you would respond to other students’ questions). It’s all fair game — just show some signs of life, engage, maybe even have some fun! It can be SO easy to feel isolated and lost in college, especially around this time of the semester, and especially in an asynchronous course. So let’s motivate and support one another through the process — we’re all in this together 🙂

Looking forward to catching up with you all here. Thanks everyone, and have a wonderful week!

1. Khandoker

the annotater becomes the annotated.

• Jill Belli

Interesting statement Khandoker! Can you tell us a little bit more about what you mean by that?

• Khandoker

Its only a joke Professor Belli. Just making jest about the amount of annotating we have been doing.

2. Jill Belli

Happy Thursday all … I’m so glad that it is finally drying out & the sun is shining here in NYC!

Friendly reminder that everyone should drop a note here to say hi & engage in discussion with the class (see above post for details). I know no one wants to be among the first to comment, but someone has got to do it 🙂

3. Jamani Anderson

Annotations means your analyzing information from the text it also illustrates how much you know using your source of knowledge as well it increases your accuracy of knowing background information behind certain stories.

• Jill Belli

Yes, annotation is so important to being a successful reader!

4. Henry Ren

Hello everyone. I finally got an adult happy meal today.

• Jill Belli

What’s the verdict Henry? Worth it?

5. Brandon Rivera

Hello, I tried an acai bowl today and it was delicious I recommend it to anyone to try it. Just thought I would share.

• Jill Belli

Thanks Brandon for sharing. All these food posts are making me hungry 🙂