Professor Belli | Fall 2022 | City Tech

All the Feelz about College, This Course, and Online learning

Start with one word that describes how you’re feeling about this course as we get started. No need to explain, but you can if you want to. 

Talk about your worries, concerns, reactions to the readings and/or to being an online student… whatever you want to. No censoring… except keep it kind of clean, please 🙂

And

Add a picture that means something to you, and explain why you chose it — why does it mean something to you?

*Initial Comments due: Wednesday, August 29 by noon. Check back in periodically and comment on your peers’ work (their comments here) — yup, you can comment on comments!

1. Jamani Anderson

8/29/22-/9/4/2022 Jamani Anderson

I feel confident about this course and the online learning so far but my worries are that I don’t want to be overwhelmed with loads of work with the amount of time I have I usually balance my time out before l start assignments I make plans for myself. my reactions towards the readings and concerns is that I hope its understandable to point where I can point out key notes and actually learn something from a reading.

The reason I chose the word confident is because its a strong word and it takes away all the overwhelms and stress.

Being confident means to never give up and always show that you can come with a positive outcome and this means something to me because I’m always confident in my learning I just love to take my time while I have it when it comes to a english course like this.

• Brandon Rivera

I agree, I think confidence allows you to make decisions that otherwise you would not. Giving up and the lack of confidence go hand in hand. Because you have confidence I can tell that you are ready and will do really good this year.

As part of the assignment as well, do you have a picture that means something to you? If so, why?

• Jamani Anderson

8/29/22-/9/4/2022 Jamani Anderson

• Jill Belli

I love that you feel confident about the course Jamani!

2. Brandon Rivera

A word that describes the way I feel about this course and college, in general, is readiness.

The main reason why I chose readiness is that I have prepared myself mentally for a new chapter in life. I know that college will be less difficult compared to my previous years if I just stick to the schedule and get my work done on time. Another reason why I feel ready is that I am used to being an online student, I myself am technologically used to the internet and can quickly learn new software and apps. Overall I just feel very prepared for what is to come and I know that I will do good.

The attached picture is of my cat who passed away almost a year ago. She meant the world to me but she got sick and it was her time to go.

• Jamani Anderson

I agree 100% Brandon Rivera readiness is something that comes with preparation and also the skill to master this english course so it would be less stress overall with college being difficult.

• Neal Ross

So sorry to hear about your cat, I’m sure she had a lot of love.

• Jill Belli

So sorry for your loss Brandon — thanks for sharing this lovely photo with us.

Also, love that you feel ready / prepared for this course … that’s fantastic!

3. Henry Ren

August 25-August 29 Smooth
    I definitely imagined transitioning to a new school and a whole new level of education to be much more rough, but surprisingly enough, it is pretty smooth. I am, however, worried that it is too smooth and usually I end up doing something wrong or I accidentally forget about something by accident.
    Unfortunately, I don’t have an image that means a lot to me.

• Jill Belli

It’s great, Henry, that the transition has been “smooth” — be grateful for that ease!

4. Tahani Rabah

I feel very nervous. I didn’t know what college would be like. I know it would be overwhelming and very fast paced which is why I was nervous . I’m currently doing online and In person I’m afraid of work overload. I don’t like to work under pressure, but I know that I can do it.

The attachment I attached is a dental mold it’s very important to me because this is what my future career insists of. So I would be seeing a lot of these models and molds

5. DavidP

I feel nervous about the future since I’m not used to my schedule yet. Not to mention how spread apart my classes are to begin with. The whole college thing just feels intimidating but I’m more than willing to power through.

The image that I’ve chosen is from a video game called Elden Ring. This game has given me some of the greatest memories with my friends and I will always treasure it as a masterful work of art.

6. Neal Ross

Anxious, I am feeling anxious because I have never went to school full-time and had a job where I have to work every day. I think I will be able to handle it but it definitely will require improvement on my time management skills. I am also anxious about having a course fully online and not actually meeting but I am sure I will get used to it.

I included a picture of my dog who has grown up with me, hopefully you can see it.

• Jill Belli

Thanks for sharing this photo of your dog Neal! What is the dog’s name?

7. aniyla

I am very anxious about this course because this is a new experience with me and I’m not used to doing everything online . But I believe as i adjust and get use to this new style of learning I will have a successful semester.

I chose this image because it represents a time when i was happy and it was my first vacation of the summer

8. logann

I am concerned to be overwhelmed with work, homework, school, getting good grades, handing assignments in on time, and trying to have fun and hang out with friends. All that aside I’m feeling great because this is a fresh new start to my journey in life. I wish everyone the best of luck and I just want to make sure I don’t stress out and make sure I have some peaceful time.

9. Khandoker

Amusing.
    Moving to another country and adjusting to way of life can be challenging but that is not what really concerns me. What concerns me the most is doing things the right way. There are so many options and choices to make everywhere. Making sure I make the best choice is imperative. I’ll figure it all out eventually but getting a good start is key. For now I’m trying to get the gist of things and anybody willing to help with that would be great. Creating a new life for yourself was never going to be easy but then again I already knew that.
    The course itself and online learning are things I am pretty comfortable with, though lack of resources at the moment are making it difficult to keep up. Hopefully in time I’ll catch up and blaze through with ease.

A photo from the Namm building at City Tech. This is a picture from the first time I came across this view and I really liked it.

10. Destiny

I feel extremely nervous about this course. I thought doing an online course would be easy to navigate around but I’m not used to doing things online so getting used to it was a little tricky. I know college is faced paced and can become overwhelming. I’m worried that I might get to overwhelmed with the workload and fall behind.

The picture attachment I chose is from an anime I watched I chose it because I really enjoyed the show and thought it was funny

11. Zavier Santillana

Overwhelming

12. Jill Belli

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts / emotions here — I definitely understand how overwhelming, confusing, frustrating, and anxiety-producing the first weeks of college (and especially online courses!) can be. This is to be expected (in fact, acceptance of this fact the first tip in the “Being a Successful Online Student” reading we did last week!: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/fywskills/being-a-successful-online-student/).

Hopefully by now you’re starting to get the hang of City Tech, the OpenLab, the course, and that you’re feeling a bit more comfortable. Putting in the work, taking advantage of the resources provided, asking for help when you need, & learning techniques for student success will be key! Here are some links (some of which we already read last week): https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/fywskills/student-readiness/

I’ve been communicating (and met) with many of you on-on-one, and you’re sharing that things are going much more smoothly now. That’s awesome! Feel free to post updates here (just drop another comment below), with how you’re doing a week out from your last check-in.

*Also, friendly reminder that it’s always important to cite your sources, including images found on the web. Including a link for credit/attribution is a good practice!

13. Holaly Dzakpa

After High school graduation I knew college would be hard because It’s all teachers talk about. But my first day of college I was nervous because 1. It’s in Brooklyn and 2. I am not a people person(If that makes sense). On the first day I remember walking up and down the stairs to find class but I couldn’t only to find out I had no in person classes this semester:) But now I’m a little more comfortable with this class since I think English is my best subject.

The image below is of a nurse because being a nurse has always been a passion of mine.