Khoury Douglas Reading Response 3 – Fantasy

For the Brooklyn Sci-Fi Festival, my chosen category was fantasy, which when defined means “the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable”. This means that these are sci-fi films that mainly focus on imagination, and things that are least likely to happen. This category consisted of 23 films, some short and simple, others long and complex with others in between. The two that I want to talk about the most are One Last Monster, and Everlasting.

One Last Monster is interesting to me because of the styling of the movie. In my opinion, the movie is very similar to a Chinese anime, with its art style. The film almost seems to be influenced by Asian culture, as shown by the main character Eura’s weapon. For a quick summary, the plot of the film follows Empress Eura, ruler of planet Adin, who is beginning to implement a defensive weapon (a flame) given to her from the previous Emperor and her love. Suddenly, her kingdom is set upon by a ‘monster’ named Didas who is also the last of his race. He claims that he has to destroy the flame before it can be used, as his people had one of their own created by him that destroyed his planet. Eura then makes him prove his peaceful nature, by having him use his powers to fix parts of Aiden. However, while Didas tries to destroy the flame, Eura is partially influenced by some of her people and a sort of vision from her lover to activate the weapon, which cause a giant humanoid to rise, and leave to destroy other planets to ‘protect’ Aiden. Didas then leaves on a suicide mission to stop it, claiming Eura to be the real monster. Eura then decides to follow him, in which when they arrive on another planet Eura tells Didas to turn her into a monster as well. Didas does so, at the same time sacrificing himself to save the planet which destroys the humanoid. Eura returns to Aiden, now a monster, and fixes Aiden using the powers given to her. This film shows how everything is not what it seems, which I enjoy as it says you can not judge a book by its cover.

The second film Everlasting is pretty simple. The film starts off with Michael, one of the main characters who is tech crazy jogging and watching a video of his girlfriend/fiance, Lisa. The scene then cuts to Lisa’s sister, (I don’t recall ever hearing her name) at work who seems to show a dislike to social media. This is apparent when a coworker asked about her sister’s birthday and she responded back a little snarky. We cut back to Michael, who has prepared a dinner for Lisa, and even bought a cake. But when he caress’ her face, there is a noticeable bruise on her face and she is gone, suddenly replaced by Michael simply holding a ring. Lisa’s sister walks in yelling at Michael. This is when we discover that Lisa has actually been dead for quite some time, and that Michael has been still updating her social media. He relent’s to deleting the social media page, claiming that he is upholding all the memories there are about Lisa. He then shows her sister a virtual college he made, which changes her feelings to what Michael has been doing and she finally responds on her sister’s page, saying “I miss you”. This film uses technology as a futuristic level to show us that is important to uphold the memories of those lost (although, I do think having a social media page of someone dead is kinda strange).