CUNY-Brooklyn Utopia Webinar is available to watch (hour long)
Discussion on Apocalypse
- Utopia – an imagined place or state of things in which everything is perfect.
- Dystopia – an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalitarian or post-apocalyptic.
- There has been a shift of people being able to create great things in life, but this also means that people can create great disasters.
- Apocalypse – means Revelation in the Bible (also means to describe or prophesize the complete destruction of the world
(NYC has fallout shelters from the Cold War with signs that still exist)
Lindon B. Johnson:Daisy ad about the dangers of Nuclear war during voting period ; also connects to modern day with this style of ads for voting
Group Discussions on “There Will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury
- Takes place in 2026 in an abandoned house in California after a nuclear bomb
- Personification is used to give life to the objects in the house such as the clock telling time because there are no people.
- Time is used in the entire story. which shows the passage of time (starts at 7:00 on August 4th) and ends the next day. Time also shows how something could seemingly last forever (the house) and how fast it can go (house burning down
- The characters present include the animals and robots that interact with the house. The objects in the house are also included as characters since the family of the house has died. However there ash imprints on the house still exist