What are some of the framework questions that applies to ” The Machine Stops”:
1.) What values are emphasized in the text’s society (or societies)?
2.) How is Freedom treated?
3.) What is the status of religion ? Does it exist and, if so, in what form? Who /what is “Worshiped”?
4.) Which characters (if any) rebel against the society?Why? what are the consequences of this rebellion? What do these consequences tell us bout the message /argument of the text?
5.) How is family portrayed in the text?
7.) What is the status of privacy?
8.) Is Individuality ( unique/ unrestrained expression) allowed, or is it controlled/Prohibited?
9.) What is the status of Progress ( Science/ Technology) within the society?
The Machine Stops Notes:
The characters so far in the story:
Vashti ( mother of Kuno) , Kuno ( son of Vashti) , Machine , Narrator
Omni- means all
Omnipresent- all present
Omniscient- all knowing
Omnipotent- all powerful
Ersatz- not genuine, not real, missing something for the real version.
Blasphemous- disrespect to something respected, cursing
Technology Determinism- the belief that technology determines what drives society or makes decisions for you.
Affordances – something that allow certain things to happen
Predictability – to declare or indicate in advance
Preclude- to prevent the possibility of happening in the future .
Subversive – going against
Our Class discussion of ideas through out the Story:
- The Machine is looked at as a god
- The Machine provides shelter and necessities for humans
- The Book is a manual for the the Machine : it is used to do things for human like basic needs, for distressed, and used for any contingency.
- Vashti doesn’t see the point going outside
- The machine protects people from other things
- Kuno goes to the surface of the Earth , which he is rebelling to society rules
- Humanity sacrificed everything to the Machine so that the Machine can provide almost all basic human needs.
- Vashti and Kuno have competing world views.
- You don’t have to title the blog again when it is already categorized at the bottom of your blog/post.
- Make a title that relates to the Blogging- make it interesting
- Give citations and use MLA( Modern Language Association ) Citation . Put quotations like this , ” ” (3). ( Put quotations between the colon marks and the page number is simply the number as shown)
- Talk about the literature in present tense include the title and author in the beginning of Blog /Post.
Our homework is in the schedule part of the course website . In addition, you should use three pieces of textual evidence and have analysis in the blog. If this is not in the Blog it will not be graded .