People’s Choice Posts #6: ‘Westworld’

It’s that time again! Read through your classmates’ reading response blogs on the first episode of the HBO series, Westworld, and choose your favorite post. You can choose a post for any reason, but you always must clearly articulate your rationale for choosing it (e.g., why did you find it interesting, compelling, likeable, provocative, etc.?). This rationale can refer to content, style, creativity, etc. If, after reading everyone’s posts, you strongly feel that your post is your “favorite,” you can always vote for yourself, but you need to provide a rationale for doing so.

In order to register your vote for this week’s “People’s Choice,” “leave a reply” to this post, and in your comment, provide your chosen post, an excerpt from it + rationale for choosing it. Provide the title and author of the chosen post, along with a link to the post you are citing (please provide the link in the same comment: don’t make a separate one with just the link). Citing is really important (in this case, citing your classmate!), and this is a way of giving credit to other sources and putting yourself in dialogue with them.

Comments/votes are mandatory, should be made no later than M 11/19. The person with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor for this round of posts! I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why.

6 thoughts on “People’s Choice Posts #6: ‘Westworld’

1. Tyler Yuen

“even though all the guests are aware that the park workers aren’t real people it’s still surprising how unaffected they are to the fact that something that looks so real and acts like a person doesn’t make them even flinch but rather gives them joy.”

I choose “Two different worlds” by Karen for her analysis of the way humanity is portrayed.  That scene where the guest shoots the host in the neck and laughs over it with his wife is absolutely twisted. The hosts mirror human looks and emotion in almost every way and they’re still able to joke about it? I honestly don’t agree with the idea of making a theme park and permitting people to kill the hosts there as it just brings out the dark side of them. And what if someone actually does kill another guest there just because they can’t tell them apart? The whole park thing is so flawed that even shooter video games would be better for fulfilling their sadistic desires.

Two different worlds

2. Christopher Navarrete

For my people’s post, I choose Sheng. I enjoyed Sheng’s philosophical discussion on the nature of humans and the ethics of inventors Bernard Lowe and Robert Ford. In her post, I believe she ties the two topics together quite well.

I especially agreed with her points on going too far with creating artificial intelligence. The inventors do appear to be obsessed with their creations.

“One should know that most humans, not all, are worse than animals if given the opportunity to let loose, for we are creatures of insatiable desires; rape, murder, and violence are all part of what we are. This futuristic park satisfied the conditions, for they are there to gratify desires of humans who pay to visit their world” (Sheng).

A Recipe For Disaster

1. Pedro Balbuena

“While watching this episode, I have never liked Bernard or Ford, to me, they seem too obsessed with upgrading these robots to human standards. Do they even know what they are doing? They may think that they are creating perfection robots, but by giving them subconsciousness and intelligence, they have gone beyond the creation of a tool, instead of an lifeless object for the sake of serving humans, they are creating a whole new species. As with every species, these machines would have their own will, desires, and freedom. As stated before, a “violent end” is only a matter of time when these new species’s lives cross paths with the humans.” (Sheng)
      I enjoyed Sheng views on Westworld and how she expressed the meaning of the drive behind improving these robots to be more realistic. More human like. I also agree with her views on us humans and our deepest desires and how we all truly run on emotions and ambitions. As we all saw throughout the episode every event was either triggered by an emotion or an ambition. This analysis was well written and targeted the problems within Westworld.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2018-eng2420/a-recipe-for-disaster/

3. Vishal Naraine

I chose “A Reality without Individuality” by Christopher Navarrete for People’s Choice. I like how he explains how a rebellious attitude may affect other characters. Throughout the show, you could see that a few characters have changed become more rebellious and outrageous in personality and actions. 

“This rebellious attitude may play an important part in the future because it is very likely to spread to other hosts. As I had mentioned previously, it has even affected Dolores, albeit in a more minor way”(Navarrete).