People’s Choice Posts #4: “There Will Come Soft Rains”

It’s that time again! Read through your classmates’ reading response blogs on “There Will Come Soft Rains” and choose your favorite post. You can choose a post for any reason, but you always must clearly articulate your rationale for choosing it (e.g., why did you find it interesting, compelling, likeable, provocative, etc.?). This rationale can refer to content, style, creativity, etc. If, after reading everyone’s posts, you strongly feel that your post is your “favorite,” you can always vote for yourself, but you need to provide a rationale for doing so.

In order to register your vote for this week’s “People’s Choice,” “leave a reply” to this post, and in your comment, provide your chosen post, an excerpt from it + rationale for choosing it. Provide the title and author of the chosen post, along with a link to the post you are citing (please provide the link in the same comment: don’t make a separate one with just the link). Citing is really important (in this case, citing your classmate!), and this is a way of giving credit to other sources and putting yourself in dialogue with them.

Comments/votes are mandatory, should be made no later than Tuesday, 10/16, at 12:00pm: the person with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor for this round of posts! I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why.

6 thoughts on “People’s Choice Posts #4: “There Will Come Soft Rains”

1. sheng

Of all the responses, I pick Tyler Yuan’s “The Earth Without Humans.” His response  lets us see machines in a whole new way, instead of a cold metal or a emotionless robot, he points out that these machine are like any other being that needs as much tending and care as humans.

2. Karen

For peoples choice I pick Tyler Yuen because of the way he expressed his sentiment for the house which I think a lot of felt. Throughout the story the house is constantly personified and I think that Tyler fully understood how the author made us feel sorry for the house. ” It’s not a sentient being but the things it does for the family is comparable to a child eagerly doing chores to please its parents. It has no idea that its been left alone and is just waiting for the residents to return.” In these few lines I feel that he perfectly summed up how we were supposed to view the house. 

3. Christopher Navarrete

For people’s choice, I choose Justin Bernard’s blog for how he explained the ironic doom of the story and the poem that was stated.  “The poem describes how nature itself is unaffected by the human extinction and that no one knows how it happen. This poem is in comparison with the house itself” (Bernard). 

The Ironic Doom

4. Vishal Naraine

For People’s Choice, I chose Christopher Navarrete’s “The Community of a Robotic House”. I chose his response because of his comparison between the ‘House’ and an actual human being. He mentions the sounds the Bradbury incorporates with the ‘House’. The voices being heard towards the end of the story sound a lot like a human would sound like in a predicament the ‘House’ faced. Christopher also mentions human characteristics/qualities that the ‘House’ seems to have. He also brings up the possibility of the ‘House’ being forced to do the human’s labor because of programming. It makes sense that the ‘House’ would have to be programmed to have the capabilities of supplying all the necessities for human survival.

The Community of a Robotic House

5. Tyler Yuen

“The irony of this part of the story is the house is so ready to serve there masters with anything, but has failed to save the dog from its inevitable doom, as it’s the only living thing in the house and probably the closest thing the family.  Thus, the dog could have much been consider as equal as its human masters and been saved if it was feed”

I choose “The Ironic Doom” by Justin Bernard because of his inquiries about who the “God” of the house is.  The house is clearly designed to serve the residents of the house and the dog should probably be considered as one of them since it lived with them in that same house.  However, for some reason, it may view the dog more like a guest in a way since the dog brought mud into the house and the latter deployed angry mice to clean it up. We don’t actually get to see how the house views the humans that used to live in the house but it’s likely it wouldn’t express any annoyance if they did the same as the dog.  The house also didn’t immediately leave out any dog food for the dog indicating that it wasn’t paying attention to its needs, as the dog was clearly thin and frothing suggesting it was hungry. Overall, I thought Justin’s post was interesting because it showed us how the house interacts with beings that are human residents.

The Ironic Doom