People’s Choice Posts #3: Metropolis

You know the drill. Read through your classmates’ reading response blogs on Metropolis and choose your favorite post. You can choose a post for any reason, but you always must clearly articulate your rationale for choosing it (e.g., why did you find it interesting, compelling, likeable, provocative, etc.?). This rationale can refer to content, style, creativity, etc. If, after reading everyone’s posts, you strongly feel that your post is your “favorite,” you can always vote for yourself, but you need to provide a rationale for doing so.

In order to register your vote for this week’s “People’s Choice,” “leave a reply” to this post, and in your comment, provide your chosen post, an excerpt from it + rationale for choosing it. Provide the title and author of the chosen post, along with a link to the post you are citing (please provide the link in the same comment: don’t make a separate one with just the link). Citing is really important (in this case, citing your classmate!), and this is a way of giving credit to other sources and putting yourself in dialogue with them.

Comments/votes are mandatory, should be made no later than Tuesday, 9/25, at 12:00pm: the person with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor for this round of posts! I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why.

5 thoughts on “People’s Choice Posts #3: Metropolis

1. sheng

I choose Vishal Naraine’s “Metropolis: A Film Beyond Its Time.” When I read his blog, the quote that he quoted from the film, “God is the world and its Creator! And great is Man” immediately attracted my attention. This quote is interesting, because for some reason, I feel like it is a challenge to God at the same time that credit is given. They acknowledge that God is the one that created everything, but I feel like they are also saying that Man is the master, for Man is the master of the world which is God, Man is triumph over nature and other obstacles thrown at them.

Metropolis: A Film Beyond Its Time

2. Christopher Navarrete

I choose Tyler for my people’s choice post. I found his comparison between the workers and the Club of the Sons to be very interesting. He states, ” This is a stark difference from The Club of the Sons who are seen smiling, racing together on the track, and dancing at the Eternal Gardens. It’s very similar to an interpretation of Heaven and Hell. Up in Metropolis, people are allowed to enjoy themselves and live peaceful lives while down in the worker’s city, they’re constantly forced to work even if they’re exhausted to the point of fainting.” I never thought of comparing the two with heaven and hell, but it makes a lot of sense. Tyler also explained how this story is person vs. machine, and how the workers have started to become machines themselves.

Metropolis – Destined for Failure?

3. Vishal Naraine

“There are some limits that need to be recognized if people do not want a violent outbreak of rebellion, as even a mouse will fight back when driven to the corner, nevertheless a human being”(Sheng-Nan Zang).

I chose Flaws Of The Society In Metropolis by Sheng Nan Zang. I chose her blog post because that last line caught my attention. “Even a mouse will fight back when driven to the corner”. Like a mouse, the workers in “Metropolis” fought back and rebelled against the machines and the people above. Sheng also does a great job of analyzing the workers. She had described them as inhuman, like zombies, vermin, and even part machine. The workers were treated inhumanely by the elite class. They were forced to work long hour shifts. They were kept in packs like rats. They worked in synchronization. Sheng also compares the two classes. “as one toils his or her life away in long, laborious hours working on the machine that supports the city, the other enjoys the splendors that the city has to offer”(Sheng Nan Zang).

4. Tyler Yuen

“One of the deadly sins that are used in the film is lust.  At 1:32:32, the men can be seen as sex craven… Another deadly sin that is used is wrath.  At 2:15:45, the workers down below seek revenge on the fake Maria by burning her body.”

I choose “Metropolis: A Film Beyond Its Time” by Vishal Naraine for his insightful analysis of the seven deadly sins.  I didn’t even consider connecting the seven deadly sins to the people whereas he pointed out some of these behaviors that the people of Metropolis exhibited such as lust and wrath.  Other than those pride and greed could probably go to Joh Frederson for his excessive satisfaction in Metropolis to the point where he ignored the feelings of others such as the workers and his son Freder. Gluttony and envy could go to the people of Metropolis and the worker’s city respectively.  So many examples of the seven deadly sins can be found within the people that it really proves Metropolis is far from perfect.

Metropolis: A Film Beyond Its Time