– If you are missing any assignments please speak to professor Belli during her office hours
– If you haven’t done so already, go back into your reading responses and categorize them with their respected topic (Check off both reading response and your topic)
– Thursday 9/27 Prof. Belli will only be available for 30 minutes prior to class ending during her office hours
– Grading for your posts will work as follows: You will receive your grade via a private comment from prof. Belli and any other comments she sends you will be either private or public depending on the content. Be aware of replying to any of the comments she may post to you, as your comment must either be public or private depending on the content
– By the weekend: If you haven’t voted on any people’s choice comments, prof. Belli is willing to give you credit for commenting and voting on your choice.
The Machine Stops Class Discussion (Cont’d)
The machine stops (literal meaning): Breaking down, Neglect of maintenance (physical upkeep), Inheritance (incomplete), Kuno’s influence
If you read a little before and a little after an interesting quote you can gain more context about it
Antecedent – comes before
There were two great developments in the story: Abolishment of respirators and Reestablishment of religion
The machine is referred to as a monster
Progress in the story was purposed for progress of the machine
Kuno could see the big picture and realize that the machine would never last, and its life cycle was nearing its end
Imperfect music used in the story meaning Vashti talking about the interruptions of her music
Impious – Disrespectful
Vashti is blind to the machine and laughs about Kuno telling of the machine’s imminent failure
Class discussion on “The Star”
People’s Choice Votes on “The Star”
Continued discussion on “The Star” and “Metropolis”
Thanks for these notes Phoenixx! One quick correction: my shortened office hours on Thursday are for after class, as usual (not prior to them). I’ll be able to meet with students until 4:15pm.
Also, please always include the part of speech with the vocabulary.