Abnormal House 

The story “August 2026 There Will Come Soft Rains” is a short story about a smart house that does everything for its owners. What I found interesting was how the story first starts, in a way were you’re expecting someone to appear and take control of the story only to quickly discover that the main protagonist is the house and that something dire has happened to the rest of humanity. “The house stood alone in a city of rubble and ashes. This was the one house left standing.At night the ruined city gave off a radioactive glow which could be seen for miles.”(1). These lines from the story although they don’t exactly tell you what happened to the rest of the world are strong enough to tell you that the fact that this house is even standing is an oddity and although we don’t know and wont find out what happened I felt that the story told us these thing to make us aware of how lonely the house really is. Constantly having people to take care of and one day there all gone and even though the house doesn’t explicitly state that it has feeling or any real understanding of its inhabitants you still get the sense thats its very much aware that somethings off. “The house was an altar with ten thousand attendants, big, small, servicing, attending, in choirs. But the gods had gone away, and the ritual of the religion continued senselessly, uselessly.”(2) ” The dog ran upstairs, hysterically yelping to each door, at last realizing as the house realized that only silence was here.”(2). These lines from the story show just how much the house relied on its humans and at the standard at which they held them to. Not only this but it shows how much the house really is aware of as well as the type of relationship that the humans had with their house were the house viewed them as god like figures. 

I also liked the way the story viewed and discussed humanity overall. Throughout the story the main focal point is the house and how advanced it is that it does everything to make its inhabitants feel comfortable and although this is true the only ones who notice anythings a miss is the dog and the house while the rest of the world doesn’t notice or doesn’t care and even then the house doesn’t fully comprehend whats happening and continuous with its daily routine. The poem that is being read by the house I feel like in a way also foreshadowed for its inhabitants what would happen if one day they just disappeared. “Quite music rose to the back the voice. “Sara Teasdale. As I recall, your favorite…”(3). These words spoken by the house help to give us an insight into who their people were. Not only did they like poetry but they also had this fascination with what the world would look like once they were gone. I think that this thought is arguably one we all have at one point or another but what makes it interesting in the story is how well the poem depicted what the world would be like after humanity demise. Overall I think that the story was interesting because it was put in a time unlike the other stories we read. In this story the perspective is not only taken from a futuristic invention but also takes place in a time were the main focus isn’t what wiped everyone out but rather from the worlds rebuilding period.