You don’t know what you have until it’s gone

While reading through parts 4 – 6 of Emily St. John Mandel’s Station Eleven, the line “You don’t know what you’ve lost until its gone kept running through my mind. We are in a time where we  fail to properly appreciate what we all have right now.

There are many things out there that we take for granted. Even the home that we are currently living in can be. “It was incredible. I almost want to lock the door behind us.” That’s what it would have been like, she realized, living in a house. You would leave and lock the door behind you, and all through the day you would have to carry a key” (pg. 199). There are many out there, myself included that don’t really take great care of our homes. While Kirsten is wandering out in the world without a home, we have the luxury of actually living in a home. We don’t really notice how fortunate we are to actually have a home because it is something that is always there, a place where we could relax and recharge our batteries. We should always take care of ourselves, but we should also take care of the homes we live in, it’s a place where we always return to, a place to relax, where we sleep, where we eat, etc.

“She was thinking about the way she’d always taken for granted that the world had certain people in it, either central to her days or unseen and infrequently thought of. How without any one of these people the world is a subtly but unmistakably altered place” (pg 225). Much like how it is with our homes, the people around us seem as if they are always with us. Much like how it was for Miranda, most people in the world would probably have reacted the same as her whenever they lose someone important to them. My grandmother lost her sister about one or two years ago. After the funeral it got me thinking that my grandmother’s end is coming soon as well. Throughout my entire life she was always there, she was always there to bring me and my cousins home from school, made breakfast, lunch and dinner for us, etc. Thing is, much like how it was for Miranda, I never really noticed because she was always there, but in life things happen on a whim. One day you could be talking to your best friend and the next day they could die of a heart attack and you’ll never see them again. Their end could come tomorrow, the day after, a week, a month, years, you never really know when their time will come. So when you get the time hangout with your friends and family because one day it will come to an end and you will never be able to see them again when it happens.

There are many things that always go unappreciated and taken for granted out there in the world. As a continuation for the part where I talked about valuing those around you, I knew a junior that was back in high school. Few years later I see rip Frank (Not their real name) on their page after a some of my friends in high school posted it and soon after I found out he had a heart attack. He was still an adolescent before he died of a heart attack. Here’s another person that died pretty early that I kinda looked up to, Monty Oum a animator for Roosterteeth died of a severe allergic reaction. Reading through the recent chapters reminded me that our time is limited here on this planet and that the people that are close to you could be here one day and gone the next. Treasure the time that you have with your friends and family because you will never know when your time will come.