Would you stay or leave Omelas?

Omelas, a city of prosperity, where the house’s roofs are red and walls are painted in between those houses. The people loved and respected one and another. They enjoy music and dancing with each other. The mothers and their children and the old enjoy their time in the park while gazing upon the clear skies. The dark truth is that this paradise is built upon one child, who is forced to suffer eternally torment and anguish for others happiness. Now imagine yourself as person living in Omelas!

The people of Omelas knows the dark truth that there is child suffering for their prosperity. It mentioned “They all know it is there, all the people of Omelas”(pg 5, line 16), and they fear because of it. They describe if child leave that place “If the child were bought up into the sunlight out of that vile place, if it were cleaned and fed and comforted, that would be a good thing indeed; but if that it were done, in that day and hour all the prosperity and beauty and delight of Omelas would wither and be destroyed.”( pg 5 line 30) They fear if that child leave that cellar, then Omelas would be ruined. A person living in Omelas know all this!

A person going into that cellar to see the child! The child in the cellar is described ” it is naked. Its buttocks and thighs are a mass festered sores, as it sits in its own excrement continually.”(pg 5 line 14) The child is busied around the thighs. The child screams “I will be good, it says. Please let me out. I will be good!”(pg 5 line 10) The people of Omelas ignore these screams. They describe what is the child fed as “it lives on a half-bowl of corn meal and grease a day”(pg 5 line 13), so he bare kept alive because he fed with corn meal and grease everyday. All young adults wanted to help that child, but they couldn’t because they feared that Omelas would be ruined. A person living in Omelas will see this!

The young ones are different from adults and elders. All adults know this, but the children doesn’t know the dark truth because “This is usually explained to children when they are between eight and twelve, whenever they seem capable of understanding.”( pg 5 line 23) They explain to children about this matter when they reach a certain age of understanding. This explain why people of Omelas were described as “They were not naive and happy children–through their children were, in fact happy.”(pg 2 line 16) The children of adults were happy because didn’t know the truth, but adults knew so they weren’t naive and happy children. This goes into the why the quote “All smiles have become archaic”(pg 1 line 30) this mean the smiles become old because the children learn the truth their smiles become old.

If you were person living in Omelas, I would suppose be ready face the harsh reality what you see is painful and disgusting for yourself. The child in that cellar is suffering because you. This why people leaving Omelas into the darkness because this light is no better than the dark. Decide whether stay or leave from knowing this.

If I was person living in Omelas, I would done what those people did and leave the places as well because this happiness given to me because another child must suffer is disgusting.

Print this page