“We want to be remembered”

After interpreting parts four to six in the novel, “Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel, the reader can assess more about the characters because the narrator discusses events that occurred before the collapse and some events that transpire after the collapse. These chapters let the reader understand the circumstance that the characters went through before the collapse of civilization. This is where Emily St. John Mandel shines as an author, by displaying a more realistic portrayal of a dystopia, than an over the top science fiction novel.

In part four a girl named Eleanor comes to The Symphony to seek refuge with them, she claims that she ran away from the prophet, because he was trying to marry her, the Symphony was in search of their missing members Sayid and Dieter, Arthur Leander was being interviewed by Jeevan pre-collapse, on the other hand, Laura being interviewed about the post-collapse life, and Jeevan and his brother Frank trying to survive the first months of the post-collapse.

Yet, out of all these events the one that caught my eye the most was the conversation between Jeevan and Frank in chapter 34. During day 58, Frank was reading to Jeevan one of his many texts. He discusses why Hollywood actors rise to fame and their reasons for wanting it, and he puts that in relation with what they end up giving back to the world. He tells Jeevan, “I’ve been thinking lately about immortality. What it means to be remembered, what I want to be remembered for, certain questions concerning memory and fame” (186). What Frank is telling Jeevan is that Hollywood actors are immortal once they are seen, because they are always on the screen, even after they are long dead. Frank continues saying that, “First we only want to be seen, but once we’re seen, that’s not enough anymore. After that, we want to be remembered” (187). Frank believes that most actors originally want to be noticed, this is to fulfill their own human desire, but over time they evolve, they want to be remembered. Yet once they achieve their fame they become humanitarians, but they never truly become humanitarians because the whole reason they became actors was to fulfill their own desires.

Frank’s text has a strong resemblance to a song written by Diane Warren, “I Was Here”. The song was performed during the global launch of the United Nations’ World Humanitarian Day. A day that honored the humanitarians who put their lives in danger for the greater good. The song “I Was Here” sings, “I wanna say I lived each day until I died You know that I, been something in, somebody’s life The hearts I have touched Will be the proof that I leave That I made a difference And this world will see Brought someone some happiness Left this world a little better”. It’s strange but Frank’s text really connects here, “Beyoncé”, will always be remembered for this song not because she wants to be a humanitarian but because she was famous. Fame gives people the ability to proper bigger issues onto the scope of society, even if it wasn’t their original intention, they still had the humanity to discuss it.