There’s a TALKING house?

It starts off nicely with a nice alarm to ruin your morning (definitely not a morning person) at seven in the morning. The nice description of breakfast being made and the constant reminders of the time. I myself don’t like being reminded of the time as it makes me uneasy. I would definitely pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time every few minutes if I did. It was an ordinary reading and nice family described. Also the constant reminder of the date and that was August 4, 2026. There was a family living in the house and it happened to be Mr. Featherstone’s birthday  and the aniiversary of Tilita. As time passed and as we start to turn the page, the story suddenly changes the atmosphere. As time went on, at around 10 o’ clock, we were told that the house was the only one remaining.  A quote that changed the mood was, “Still further over, their images burned on wood in one titanic instant, a small boy, hands flung into the air; higher up, the images of a thrown ball, and opposite him a girl, hands raised to catch a ball which never came down” (Bradbury, 1). From what I interpreted, was that the children and the family have died and the only thing that remained in the house was the animals (especially the rats), and the voice. I felt as if the narrator was the voice telling us the time and what the family would usually do.

Honestly this story wasn’t that amusing but, there was a certain part that stood out again and that was when the dog suddenly died. “The dog ran upstairs, hysterically yelping at each door,at last realizing, as the house realized, that only silence was here… The dog frothed at the mouth, lying at the door, sniffing, its eyes turned to fire. It ran wildly in circles, biting at its tail, spun in a frenzy, and died” (Bradbury, 2). I was still puzzled on how the dog died and why did the dog bite its own tail but all left unanswered. Maybe the house didn’t want an intruder in the house and what may back up my claim is in page 3, where the voice reads to no one a poem. The poem being the title of the story “There will Come Soft Rains” and apparently it is whomever the voice is reading to their favorite. Suddenly fire breaks out; killing the many voices in the the house and the voice is quite frantic. Only apart of the wall remains and continues to repeat the date but this time says “Today is August 5, 2026, today is August 5, 2026, today is …” (Bradbury, 4). Part of the house still wants to remember the family because in the beginning, we the readers were told that the house was the only one remaining. And maybe on August 5, 2026, the wall will continue to remember the family that lived in the house and continue acting as if the family were going about their everyday lives.