The world is a beautiful place and words can capture that beauty.

Hi, everybody,                                                                                                                                                                                                     My name is Daniel Fanning. I grew up in Ireland and I moved to the U.S. fifteen years ago. I worked as a CNC machinist/programmer (metal machining/CAM programming) until about twelve years ago, when I gradually moved into management. I enjoy working with people. A good manager is  like a good coach; he attunes himself to others, helping rather than hindering.

I work in Yonkers N.Y. and live nearby. I am married with two children; a boy (11) and a girl (10). I like watching news and history channels. Reality often surpasses anything the mind can imagine. When I found out that the manufacturing company that I work for is planning to move down south, I decided to do a B.Tech in Mech. Eng. Technology, to make myself more marketable. I had completed an Associate degree years ago so I needed to do less to finish the B.Tech. I have completed three semesters at City Tech and I hope to finish in three more semesters.

The courses that I have enjoyed the most at City Tech are English (1101 & 1121) and History (1110).            I remember sitting down for my first class in Eng 1101, on a leisurely Saturday morning and being utterly surprised by what Prof. Ashar Foley could do with the English language. You don’t know that the room is stuffy until somebody opens the window. When I was in high school, English and History were the domains of pompous old fools. In City Tech, I found professors who maneuvered the literary rapids with graceful agility.

Words are magical, they can drive us to despair or fly us to the stars. Like dabs of paint by Van Gogh, they can blend seamlessly together to evoke an image that transcends to the sublime. I love being in the sublime area of writing, it’s the effort required to get there that daunts me. I am envious of those who write for a living, from the hack writer who gets paid by the word to the masters like James Joyce who carefully plan and sculpt their creation from the amorphous and cold stone. The world is a beautiful place and words can capture that beauty.

2 thoughts on “The world is a beautiful place and words can capture that beauty.

1. Nickolas

I strongly agree with you when you said, “Words are magical, they can drive us to despair or fly us to the stars.” In my opinion, words are tools or weapons that we all use with the intentions of either promotion or provocation. For better or worse, words can be an instrument of harm or that which is for the greater good.