The Slow Descent to Madness

Reading through Charlotte Perkins Gilamn’s “The Yellow Wallpaper”,  I see the narrator go mad and as I read through the story her mental stability changes quite dramatically a bit throughout the course of the story. It is also noticeable in how much she writes in each part and how it gets shorter as the story goes on until it reaches the end. I notice that the narrator’s mentally stable is as anyone else would have had when they first see a wall paper. As mentioned in the short story by the narrator the wallpaper is ” One of those sprawling flamboyant patterns committing every artistic sin” and how it is ” repellent, almost revolting”. After I read through the first part of the story I notice that she is rather descriptive on how the wallpaper is unappealing to her. She shows a great amount of discomfort considering that the wallpaper disgusts the narrator in more ways than one and with that it begins her obsession with the wallpaper.

By the time two weeks have passed by for the narrator where I noticed signs of her madness are starting to appear in a more drastic changes . She mentions that ” This paper knew what a vicious influence it had” and how there are “two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down”, by this point I assume that her mental stability has decreased quite a bit over those two weeks considering that she is beginning to see eyes staring at her and how the paper is actually looking at her despite that both the wallpaper and the paper she writes on are both inanimate objects.

By the time the story reaches near its end it could be said the narrator has gone insane.  Considering that she considers ” to jump out the window would be admirable exercise ” I doubt that she even has a bit of sanity left in her. She  even says ” I’ve got out at last, in spite of you and Jane I’ve pulled off most of the paper, so you can’t put me back!” as if the wallpaper holding back  a soul or something trapped in it and that it is now possessing her. She was also creeping around her room and behaving as if the spirit of the yellow wallpaper has possessed her and even when John fainted she walked over him even thought he had fainted after seeing what she was doing , she even started to eat away at a corner and believed that the pattern enjoys it as if the pattern had a will of its own, as mentioned in the story” All those strangled heads and bulbous eyes and waddling fungus growths just shriek with derision” even though it is inanimate. By the end of the story she has lost any mental stability she had compared to when she first arrived the this temporary home when she was still sane, compared to how she is now where she believes that she is currently possessed by some spirit which was trapped behind paper.

Print this page