Notes for Today 11/07/2017 (Terry will continue it)

I volunteered to help Terry with the notes today, no biggie!

Pinch Hitting-  Something to do with baseball; In baseball, a pinch hitter is a substitute batter. Batters can be substituted at any time while the ball is dead (not in active play). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinch_hitter 

Free Writing: Counted as a quiz guys!! ( Write about a theme or recurring theme; idea of narrator’s story telling.) Her way of telling a story, writing, thinking, etc…

Congrats Kina, you won this week for people’s choice for the description and extended use of RED !

Gem has been selected for featured post for talking about the role of women in her post!

Reminder: People’s Choice for parts III-VIII due Wednesday Nov.8th at night ( By 11:59 pm if you want exact details)

REMEMBER ESSAYS ARE DUE TUESDAY NOVEMBER 14TH !!!!!

Only 18 people posted in the blogs. SMH guys!!! the semester is almost over!! come on!!!

Mid-Semester Grades: If you have NOT heard from our lovely Professor Belli, then you are off the hook. She called out the names during class, if you did not attend class, email her just to be safe. You want to know whether you are failing or not right?

If you want to have a chat with her about any assignments ( including the essay) EMAIL her ASAP to book an appt with her. She will be available today 11/07, tomorrow 11/08, and Thursday 11/09. Come with printed material..

Story Telling: Pg.39-40

“It isn’t a story I’m telling but it is a story I’m telling.” – mixture of past and facts. 

• Hierarchy– Color of dresses
  • Epigraphs
  • Descriptive
  • Imagery (Book uses lots of descriptions and imagery)
  • Narrative:
  • Table of Contents-Functional (sort of like a journal, what happens, not so much like a list.)
  • “Night”- has an importance
  • The night is mine, my own time, to do with as I will, as long as I am quiet. As long as I don’t move. As long as I lie still.” (37)

• Night is he freedom, as long as she is quiet. 
  • Memories- She reminisces about her Daughter Hannah and Husband Luke. 
  • Meditation- During the day, her life is about waiting to be told what to do. Lots of free time. 
  • Offred time travels through her mind, she retains control of her mind while all else has been lost to her.
  • Subjective Narrative- All she has, cannot talk freely. 
  • Constantly revises the way she tells her story. Gilead, Red Center.
  • Propaganda- To persuade you to change your opinion.
  •  Narrator thinks back to how commander reads bible  by ceremony.
  • Free Association:  Something that makes you think about something else, and on and on… – Offred’s Style. 
  • Author is very attentive to detail.
  • “I need to be very clear, in my own mind.” (33)

We will continue on Thursday 11/09/2017

One thought on “Notes for Today 11/07/2017 (Terry will continue it)