Introduction

Hello all, my name is Calvin Ly, and my major is Computer Systems focusing primarily on databases. This is my last semester before graduating from City Tech, and I am currently finishing the last of my required courses. I am currently looking for a job/internship, hoping to be employed once I’m out of school. Over the summer, I spent time learning new programming languages, namely C# and Scala, as well as making a simple contact manager app using a new application framework called “INFOR Mongoose”. Outside of working with computers, I have a wide variety of interests. I really enjoy watching movies and television series, and I’m always looking for something new (or old!) to watch. I’ve binge-watched all three seasons of Fargo, and am currently enjoying the critically-acclaimed Twin Peaks TV serial, which recently returned in 2017 after a 25(!) year hiatus. Some of my all-time favorite movies are Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo (1958), John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982) and Francis Ford Copolla’s Apocalypse Now (1979). My favorite horror movies are The Evil Dead (1981), Alien (1979), and Exorcist III (1990). I also enjoy watching professional basketball and browsing the Internet.

I’ve used OpenLab before in a previous class, in which I was required to read class material as well as post homework assignments. My weakness as a reader is I tend to be lazy in looking up definitions to unfamiliar words. My weakness as a writer is I find it a little difficult to begin a paper, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how I should start. My favorite genre is Science Fiction. My favorite books are Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton, Brave New World by¬†Aldous Huxley, and Catch-22 by¬†Joseph Heller. Though I personally don’t read as much as I should, my view of literature is essentially the same as my views on film. I believe that literature (and film) is extremely important in exposing people to different viewpoints and philosophies. There are critics of fiction out there who say “its just a story, its not real”, but I believe that people can learn a lot from reading (or watching in film) about how characters deal with hardship and tragedy.

A still from Red Beard (1965) directed by Akira Kurosawa

2 thoughts on “Introduction

1. Ita

I learned C# over the summer too! I agree with your belief “that people can learn a lot from reading (or watching film) about how characters deal with hardship and tragedy.” I think media can teach people about how to cope with new situations.