I despise this yellow wall paper

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte is about the narrator who faces many challenges of keeping her sanity throughout the novel. The story mostly explains that the narrator has an “illness” which is never said what it is exactly but it is most likely a mental condition. She is married to a man named Jon who looking out for. The narrator uses imagery throughout the whole novel. Like in the second paragraph of the first page, it explains the couple moving into a mansion that appeared as if it was hunted. They moved into this house for the narrator rest due to her illness. She wishes to work her mind and write however her husband prohibits it. He believes that will make her even worse. She disagrees and believes a she will get better if she entertains herself by writings. I certainly believe that would have been a wise decision because she does get into a bad position.¬†

Reading throughout the novel the I got pretty bored because nothing interesting was happen. The narrator keeps describing the setting outside and inside the mansion. Like on the sixteenth paragraph on page one “There is a delicious garden!..” She loved that garden so much that it looked so appealing. Also on the fourth to the tenth paragraph on the second page, in detail she explains how “revolting” the wallpaper was in their room. This wallpaper is yellow. From this moment I foreshadow that the novel will cause a huge conflict with the narrator from the title, “The Yellow Wallpaper.” Afterwards the narrator was losing her mind due to the wallpaper. She intends to fight off the wallpaper in her mind by spending time with her family members but she continues to approach the wallpaper. This wallpaper no longer feel “revolting” it felt more like it was evil. She grows so¬†obsessive with the wallpaper that she finds changes within the wallpaper. In paragraph six of page seven, “There are always new shoots on the fungus, and shades of yellow all over it.” I believe this is from her illness, she can’t control herself anymore and believe that there is something wrong with the wallpaper. This obsession of her feels like she is being possessed by the wallpaper. Later she sees an image of a woman through out the house and on the wallpaper and won’t leave her be. This whole thing gets show strange to the point where she lost her mind and went wild with the wallpaper.

The author uses such detailed imagery to describe the atmosphere of the setting. You feel being disgusted of the wallpaper and how irritating it is. The author also uses a time sequence to see how each day the narrator become more active about the wallpaper. The feeling was just being sick of the wallpaper to the point where you go mad. Using her illness to proceed to the plot was well written as well.

2 thoughts on “I despise this yellow wall paper

1. Anoop

I do agree that the way in which the story was written was not the most captivating to myself. I did enjoy the imagery depicted by the author in describing many of the scenes and settings though.

1. Anoop

“You feel disgusted of the wallpaper and how irritating it is” ( Sebastian Garzon, Paragraph 3). I agree, an example of this would be, “The color is repellent, almost revolting; a smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight. (Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Page 2 Paragraph 8). Descriptive words used really let you picture what the author is talking about, as well as sets the mood for the scene.