“Everything happens for a reason”

I found the last few parts of Emily St. John Mandel’s novel Station Eleven to be breathtaking. A peaceful end to such an intense story. It was interesting to see how the plot unraveled and the characters connected towards the end. We were able to see sides of the characters we have never seen before. I was saw compelled to Clark’s character. There was something quite special about him. At the beginning of the novel we only knew him as Arthur’s best friend and just a character in the background, but there was so much more to him and his role in the Museum of Civilization. Clark seemed to be a calm and sincere character, which I feel was quite opposite to Arthur. What he was able to do was so special, collecting memories and objects of the past life,” Clark had always been fond of beautiful objects, and in his present state of mind, all objects were beautiful”(255). I wish we knew even more of Clark and his life before the collapse.

It was lovely to see a different side to Arthur as well. He felt so genuine and loving, this is something we didn’t really get out of him earlier in the novel. He kind of seemed to a selfish actore or some Hollywood playboy, and now at fifty one finally a man who is ready to turn his life around for the ones he loves, specifically Tyler.

I really wonder how Tyler would have turned out if it wasn’t for the Georgia Flu. Just to image this little boy who maybe followed in the footsteps of his father and become a actor, or a writer or anything really, but instead he became someone so terrifying. I wonder what was driving Tyler to act as he did. His obsession with the New Testament may have influenced Tyler but the anger, where did that come from? He played such a major role in the lives of many people, kind of like his father, but for all the wrong reasons.

The author kept us so intrigued about the mystery of the Museum of Civilization. The destination and the escape that so many had hoped and aimed for. It was a place of shelter and security for others. The museum was a place of peace. No crazy prophets or cults, finally a real civilization in a world full of danger and chaos. Fortunately for some they were able to make it.