Essay 2

Writing Task & Purpose

For this second essay, you will write a 6-8 page (double-spaced) thesis-driven essay that presents a thesis (argument) about The Handmaid’s Tale and uses subsequent claims and evidence from the text to explore and support this argument.

*Please make sure to review the Essay 1 Assignment (as all of the same requirements apply here) and follow the Assignments: Formatting, Guidelines, and Submission expectations, and the helpful tips/strategies provided below and the materials under Writing Resources. You should also refer to the strategies for revision that I posted during our last essay writing process.

Due: Thursday, December 14, 2017 by 2:30pm [EXTENDED: Friday, 12/15 by 1pm]

• Submit file via Dropbox.  If you do not turn in your essay (digitally via Dropbox) by the start of class on Tu 12/14, you will receive no credit for the entire assignment. There are no extensions. Late work will not be accepted and will receive no credit.

Grading: Essay 2 is worth 30% of your overall course grade (it is a portion of your final exam for the course)

• Plagiarism, in all forms, will not be tolerated. Any essay that plagiarizes will automatically fail (and you may fail the course as well). Refer to City Tech’s Policy on Academic Integrity on the Syllabus and Assignments: Formatting, Guidelines, Submission more specific details.
  • If you would like to discuss your ideas or drafts, please schedule an appointment to see me during my office hours. I am more than happy to discuss your ideas/drafts in person with you, at any stage of your reading/thinking/writing process.
  • If you schedule an appointment with me (via email) and come discuss a developed (minimum 4 full pages) draft with me in my office hours, take notes, and then revise accordingly (and describe this feedback/revision in your Cover Letter), you will automatically gain an extra grade (e.g., from a C+ to a B-, or a B to a B+) on your final draft.

Cover Letters: You must include a cover letter (approximately one page long, typed, single-spaced) as the first page of your essay (this letter does not count toward the minimum length of your essay). This reflective letter should be addressed to your readers (me and your peers), and should be written in the first person (it can be informal/personal). Essays without Reflective Cover letters will not be accepted & will receive no credit.

This Cover Letter presents the process behind your essay, and therefore doesn’t restate what your essay claims (the product) but rather discusses your drafting/revising process for this essay. Even though you are only submitting a final draft to me, you should go through a number of steps (pre-drafts such as in-class discussions, blogs, freewriting, group discussion, brainstorming, outlining, peer review, first drafts, conferences with me and Learning Center tutors, etc.) before you hand it in, and this Cover Letter shows how your essay has changed along the way. See the specific questions at the bottom of the Essay 1 Assignment for more details.