Here are the notes I took on todays class, as well as some reminders for next Tuesday’s class. I didn’t quite get everything but this is most of what was discussed!
What kinds of things do we annotate while we read?
- Vocabulary words unfamiliar to us
- Key lines in the story (Similes, Metaphors, language/dialogue
- Parts of the story that stand out or can be important or pertinent to the message
- Characters, protagonist/antagonist, plot
Objective: Factual, unbiased information
Subjective: Biased preferences or personal opinion
Why do we reread stories?
- To go over important info that may have been missed by the reader
- To get a better sense of what the text is saying/the message
Characterization: Learning about characters and their traits.
Denotation: A dictionary’s definition of something
Connotation: Your idea or feeling of what something means
Bring in printed copies of “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, “Puertoricanness” by Aurora Levins Morales, and
Blog a response to EITHER ‘Girl” or “Puertoricanness”, by Monday at 11:59pm!
See you guys next Tuesday!