17 thoughts on “Class Discussion #8: People’s Choice Posts for ‘The Handmaid’s Tale,’ Parts I-II

1. Profile photo of GemannaGemanna

I enjoyed Nikolas’ blog in regards to the first parts of A Handmaid’s Tale, in which he proposes many of his ideas regarding some of the novels aspects; what is the real meaning behind the renaming of the Handmaids? I agree with Nikolas on the notion that “Offred” suggest that she is offering her being; her body to God. Also, “Blessed be the fruit”, which is a common greeting from one Handmaid to another, implies how blessed they are for being able to procreate during these times. Nikolas also makes a great point in observing Offred’s unease at grasping her new, restricted life as a Handmaid. Offred has a mind full of memories and flashes of her previous life of freedom while her body is physically like that of a prisoner, but perhaps worse. Her desire to escape the hands of her oppressive government grows more evident with each flashback.
    “Perhaps that’s why she’s given the name of Offred. She claims that, “I never looked good in red, it’s not my color.” (8). Similar to other Handmaids, Offred is “offered” to the Commander. Her services are “offered” to “the Lord”. However, unlike her fellow workers, Offred is “off red”. She seeks to be different from the rest. Offred secretly wants to enjoy the denied virtues of being a full fledged, independent woman.”
    Also, great title Nikolas!
    Nikolas’ Blog:

96

Normal
    0

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:””;
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/to-taste-the-fruits-of-freedom-and-individualism-is-a-sin/

2. Profile photo of Imani MorganImani Morgan

The post I nominate for People Choice this week will be Kina’s post for The Handmaid’s Tale. I agreed with a lot of the points she made, for example she stated, ” when Offred says “I try not to think too much. Like other things now, thought must be rationed. There’s a lot that doesn’t bear thinking about. Thinking can hurt your chances, and I intend to last.” As if, the sign of intelligence in women is forbidding. I know that Offred, herself, did not said that thought is forbidding, but her saying “Thinking can hurt your chances, and I intend to last” [8]. Let’s me know that In order to survive women must not think, but to just do what is told to them.” These women went from being independent woman, making their own decisions to them reducing their thoughts and trying to ration them. As i said in my blog, their freedom were taken away from them. Just like Kina, I too realized after a while that the reason the coins the handmaids used to trade for goods had pictures on them because women weren’t allowed to read anymore. How can you take that right from someone? Kina touched on a lot of topics I also felt away about and questions I had and that’s why I’m nominating her for people choice .

3. Profile photo of NickolasNickolas

I liked Kina’s blog where she compared Offred and the other Handmaids to slaves in the Reconstruction Era. The women, in general, are the Commander’s property or slaves in the story’s patriarchal, social hierarchy. As far as the Commander’s concerned, women have two responsibilities in life. They’re meant to conceive children, as mothers, and also keep everything in order according to him, as maids/housewives. His position as the Commander and also religion, as framed in the Holy Bible, are used to justify his actions, attitude, gender inequality, and dehumanization and objectification of women.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/i-know-a-few-things-but-i-have-one-question/

1. Profile photo of NickolasNickolas

Since I don’t think it’s possible to edit or update published comments (if it’s possible, I don’t know how to do it), I want to change my  People’s Choice nomination (if that’s even allowed). I had no idea, until just now, that the blog I initially chose was NOT for Parts 1 and 2 of The Handmaid’s Tale. Instead, I vote for Cristian. I agree with him that Offred doesn’t belong in the Commander’s society. I also like how he makes a comparison of the novel to Station Eleven. “There is also that similarity from Station Eleven in which the memories of the old world haunt the person who knows how life could have been and how they want their life to be. All the changes that have occurred all of which they had no control nor say in.” (Cristian).

However, if I can only vote once, then I made a mistake in not paying close attention to the blog’s category. At first, I chose Kina’s blog because I agreed with some of her ideas. But, I just found out that her post was categorized as parts 3-8. Hence, I pick Cristian’s blog on parts 1-2 instead.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/not-belonging/

4. Profile photo of DanielDaniel

I  choose Kina in “Peoples  Choice” for “The Handmaid’s Tale” Units I-II 
    These two paragraphs captured me:

“In Chapter two, I see that the color red is significant. They way the narrator talks about it is intriguing. Because, when she is putting on the red gloves, she “pull them onto my hands, finger by finger” [8]. It is like she is slowly transforming from her true inner self to the color red itself. Red is becoming her fingers. The shoes are red, these are her new toes and so is her dress, which becomes her new body.                                                                                                                                                                                                            It is as if red is her only identity now since in chapter one her name was nothing more than a mere whisper among lip-readers. The color red is louder than a whisper and it doesn’t make a sound. Red makes her seen. The color red defines her. Red is the mark of her status in this new world.” (Kina)                                                                                                                                                                           
    I love how Kina dealt with the significance of the color red in “The Handmaid’s Tale”. Offred is transformed and ”becomes” the color red. She assumes a new “red” identity, finger by finger..”The color red defines her. Red is the mark of her status in this new world”. (Kina).
    Red is more that a symbol of Offred’s new status.

5. Profile photo of Terry_LTerry_L

I really enjoyed reading Kina’s post. I was a little lost when I first reading the first two parts of the book and was so confused on the main purpose of it. Through reading Kina’s post, I understand a little bit more about the contents of the book. “the sign of intelligence in women is forbidding” was mentioned in her post (Kina.) This is so true that the women were actually forbidden on reading or do whatever they liked. They were told to do things as the government assigned. People living in Gilead were even putting in different classes by the color code. She also mentioned, “They are treating women as property and to keep the women in her place, she can no longer be educated.” This showed that these women living in Gilead were treated in an inhuman way which was the point the narrator in the story really wanted to complain about. The women were turning into mindless tools instead

.https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/i-know-a-few-things-but-i-have-one-question/

6. Profile photo of Jeffrey LiangJeffrey Liang

The blog that I choose is Kina’s. I liked how she compared the lives of the handmaids to how life used to be, which reminds me of how women lived during the colonial times and how their rights were extremely limited. Much like how the lives of the handmaids are in the novel, the lives of women during the colonial American era though it is more restrictive of what the women can do in the novel compared to how things were then.

7. Profile photo of blanca borquezblanca borquez

I chose Kina’s post!!

She starts off this blog by talking about the freedom of women, it is like all those years where women’s rights were being fought for went totally down the drain. Offred, also known as June, Transforms herself everyday in to this color, RED. ” It is as if red is her only identity now since in chapter one her name was nothing more than a mere whisper among lip-readers.” (Kina 2) Offred no longer has a name, everything has been stripped off of her. and to be honest that would drive me crazy.

They way Kina wrote about Offred in the third paragraph after she dresses in this red dress, is how I picture her when I am reading the book, which by the way I am almost done with. I think that the way Kina puts these words together and describes Offred is amazing. It hits right on point. ” Once she puts on her uniform, she is less than the woman she was outside her uniform. She is a handmaid and her main job is to bear children.” (Kina 3) I have so many thoughts and personal opinions and if I keep writing it will no longer be a nomination. But I chose Kina. She did a great job on this one!!! 🙂

8. Profile photo of AdrianAdrian

The blog I chose was Kina because while I was reading her blog, I imagine how interested she is with the book. Her thoughts and comments on the Handmaid’s Tale is really compelling.  I especially like the quote she gave: ” I think that all of women colors represents some type of servitude job and can determined everything you do in life and how you should be treated by others”(Kina). Very powerful!