Class Discussion #7: “People’s Choice Posts” for ‘Station Eleven,’ Parts 7-9

We’ve finally finished Station Eleven, and here’s your chance to reflect on the entire novel and your classmates’ responses to it.

Read through all reading response blogs for Station Eleven, Parts 7-9, choose a favorite post, and explain your rationale for choosing it. Then share the post/excerpt/rationale by “commenting” here on this post. Don’t forget to link to the post you are citing (you can now hyperlink comments rather than just copying/pasting the URL: give it a shot!).

Comments should be made no later than Wednesday, 10/25, and the one with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor! As always, I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why. Happy reading 🙂

20 thoughts on “Class Discussion #7: “People’s Choice Posts” for ‘Station Eleven,’ Parts 7-9

1. Profile photo of PeninaPenina

I Liked Dheeraj’s blog this week. I agree with his constitution of this novel, ” Overall, we see how the collapse affected multiple people in many different ways. We got to read into the after effect on everyone’s lives throughout the entire novel. The author did a good job in alternating between everyone’s views showing the many hardships and even some of the easiest things that each character had to face throughout the book. It also showed how everyone else had their own way of taking on the world and life itself after the collapse and how they made it through no matter what happened even if it involved something negative or positive”. Here is the link to his blog  https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/how-would-you-take-on-the-world-after-death/ .

2. Profile photo of KinaKina

I like what Nickolas wrote when he had written this:

“Clark Thompson lives in two distinct dimensions. He exists in a world that’s within another world. As indicated in the text, “Toward the end of his second decade in the airport, Clark was thinking about how lucky he’d been. Not just the mere fact of survival, which was of course remarkable in and of itself, but to have seen one world end and another begin.” (231). His new home, the Severn City Airport, combines possibly the best of what’s left of the old and new realms. It’s a haven of hope and a refuge for remnants. It’s like a phoenix, rising from the ashes to not only rebuild civilization to its former glory, but also to adapt to the post-collapse world. The Museum of Civilization is an archive within the airport that contains compilations of artifacts from the pre-collapse world.”

I agreed with this statement because It remind me of all of the characters that had survive and how some of them seen one world die and learn how to live in this new one and to be able to adapt to such harsh surroundings is amazing. Clark, we get to see him not only adapting to the new world, but he is holding on to relics from the old world as to remember the old world. As if hoping to get the younger generation who visit his museum interested enough in the old world that they will want to build up a new and improve one.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/to-live-and-die-by-the-sword-of-faith/

3. Profile photo of NickolasNickolas

There were a couple of blogs that I liked. However, I was most interested in the blogs by Kainat, Crsoto, and Chris Hamilton (if it’s possible to nominate more than one person). It’s funny (in a strange kind of way) that the prophet a.k.a. Tyler called himself the light. According to Chris Hamilton, “[Tyler’s] purpose was to find/create a purpose  because he was so into the idea of being “the light” and spreading “the light” that i think he lost the point, his purpose was supposed to fulfill him not keep him.” As stated in Crsoto’s post, “The Prophet’s goal was to bring light to the world as he utters the words with his men “the fallen walk among us. We must be the light. We are the light.”(Mandel, 291). This light he refers to is only his own belief of what was right and what was wrong.” However, the real light was the illuminated community where Jeevan lived with his wife and children in the post-collapse world. As Kainat said, “It was like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.” It was this light, not the prophet, that ultimately gave hope that there’s progress being made to restore and reestablish civilization.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/because-dying-is-insufficient/

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/when-its-all-said-and-done/

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/and-it-all-comes-together/

4. Profile photo of Terry_LTerry_L

I liked the blog post from Nickolas for this week.

First I think he built a good structure on the post which had the central theme as the beginning paragraph, then he tried to explain them in several points based on the theme he made up with, it is very clear and easy to follow his thought. Second, I really like about the transitions he made at the beginning of each paragraph which concluded the previous paragraph and guide you to the next paragraph, and you will never get lost during his response. Third, I strongly agreed with him at the point which the situation of a collapsed world did change people in many ways, as he mentioned “It shows how humans react to a multitude of dynamic changes and what they’re capable of when pushed to or even beyond their physical and mental limits” (Nickolas.) This is so true that we actually reads that many different characters were changed in different ways after the world was collapsed, such as Kirsten and Tyler, two characters which both so close to Arthur before, grew in different ways and treated things differently after. Nickolas did go specific on this, which made people understand better.

At the end of his post, he also pick up on an interesting point which was that if Kirsten had the same experiences from Tyler since her childhood, would she end up with the same result as Tyler deserved. This is such a good point to consider about after reading the story, thoughtful and lead to curiosity.

5. Profile photo of Imani MorganImani Morgan

The blog that stood out to me was Nickolas blog. He touched on a few points that I kind of over looked and also agreed with such as Clark living in a world that’s inside of another. The people of the museum created their own world inside of the ruins of the ‘new world’ which became their safe haven. They had teams go out and bring supplies back, Clark was in charge of the little museum with personal artifacts from some people who were living there with him as well. Another point he touched on was the fact that Arthur wasn’t so much involved in Tyler’s life , he was in Kirsten and he had a huge impact on both of their lives. He also asked a few good questions that really made me think of how many different ways the novel could’ve ended. He actually made me want to email the writer myself and tell her to write a part 2 with Kirsten becoming crazy like Tyler did. Nickolas won my vote! https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/to-live-and-die-by-the-sword-of-faith/

6. Profile photo of GemannaGemanna

I enjoyed reading Chris Hamilton’s blog post regarding the existing themes of death and survival. He touches base on the juxtaposition of survival being “insufficient”, yet how present and frequently occuring death is in this novel. Kirsten and the many others in the Symphony came together in pursuit of survival and art preservation, but death is what truly connects them all; whether it be having lost someone or having killed someone themselves. The post pandemic times have called for these people to kill others in order to survive, and Chris H. even mentions Kirsten’s quote when she tells Francois that she thinks of killing when thoughts of her changed lifetime come to mind. Below are two excerpts from Chris’ blog that I focused on:

“We see that Kristen has killed people before to survive.Themes of death creates the intensification of the value of life, even the will to murder. Death shows our urge for our life to have purpose, to follow a higher power.”
    “François has noticed right after the interview that the symphony’s stories are the very similar. ‘Everyone else died, I walked, I found the Symphony. Or, I was very young when it happened, I was born after it happened, I have no memories or few memories of any other way of living, and I have been walking all my life.'(266) all the people who survived have had the same experience of walking and searching with death all around them. Each time death stared them in the face and they found purpose in the group and keep on the move because staying still is like death.”

Chris Hamilton’s Blog:

7. Profile photo of Taisha RiveraTaisha Rivera

This week I have chosen C.Hamilton’s blog. I agree when he states, “Each time death stared them in the face and they found purpose in the group and keep on the move because staying still is like death.” In my opinion, as the group continued moving on, they were also learning more about one another. Their support for each other grew, as well as their hope for a new life.   https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/when-its-all-said-and-done/

8. Profile photo of AnoopAnoop

I chose Nickolas’ blog post this week. I agree with the comparisons made about Kirsten and Tyler, about them being two opposites of each other. I also wondered the possibility of Kirsten going astray too, like how Tyler did so quickly. I think Kirsten had people around her to keep her sanity while Elizabeth didn’t do the most responsible thing by going with the religious cult with Tyler. He made a good point about how Tyler never really had a close-knit family, while Kirsten had the support of the symphony.

9. Profile photo of Hamiltonc92Hamiltonc92

I pick my own blog because i feel like i point out most of the themes of Part 7-9 of Station Eleven and explain how each theme works in the story. I bring attention to the core motive of the story which was that certain themes that conflict with each other and contradict each other can work together to create a very complicated and compelling story.

My Blog

10. Profile photo of CrsotoCrsoto

I chose this blog because i completely agree with Sebastian. The world of station 11 is something that can happen and the situations the characters were put in can happen as well. In a lawless world there will be people with malicious intent, or people who are willing to kill in order to survive, so in that case one must kill in order to protect themselves from those who will kill you.  That is the world of station 11,

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/death/

11. Profile photo of Dheeraj SurujprasadDheeraj Surujprasad

One of the posts I liked was by Chris Soto’s. One quote I liked from his post was “They don’t just survive, they live valuing what was once good in the world, the old world, and share those values with other survivors in different towns.” I liked how he used this quote to describe a lot of the Symphony as well as others like Clark. I also liked how he brought up the Prophet having a goal that he looked in a way was positive if you were to leave out the negative things he’d done to achieve them. He talks about that in the quote “Actually in my opinion he was not wrong with wanting to repopulate the world it was just how he came about it that was so wrong. Even though the Prophet did a lot of wrong he was not simply surviving, he was working towards a goal so great that he can smile at the face of the enemies that he kills and blackmails.” It’s not really something I thought about because when I initially read about the bad things he’d done, I turned to disliking him instead of looking into what he was actually trying to achieve as a goal for the future, not in the present.

Link to Chris’ Blog: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/because-dying-is-insufficient/

12. Profile photo of DanielDaniel

I vote for Chris Hamilton’s blog this week.

Before proceeding I would like to thank  Kina, Samuel,Calvin, Taisha and Nickolas for their blogs (posted in that order), all of which I particularly enjoyed and which gave me many ideas to think about.

In Chris Hamilton’s blog, I was caught by the line ” Themes of death create the intensification of the value of life..”and begrudgingly I agree to the truth in the rest of the line…”even the will to murder” ….out of fear of death.

I agree with Chris’s observation “….they found purpose in the group and kept on the move because staying still is like death”. I had not seriously considered the ever-so-obvious fact that death (both of the pandemic past and potentially in the present) was a constant backdrop to every thought and action in the post-pandemic period. Literally, people just “kept on the move because staying still is like death”. This, for me, explains the fact that so many people just kept on walking for the first year. If you move you are living!

Upon consideration, the line “Survival can move people to search for a higher power” is true and central to the understanding of “Survival is insufficient” . Anybody who survived the pandemic must have thought to himself: “Why me?, why did I survive? and if I did survive, how to I justify that survival.” They felt survivor’s guilt and a debt that needed to be repaid.

13. Sebastian Garzon

I enjoyed the how Nickolas made a connection between Tyler and Kirsten. Since they both had a strong connection towards Arthur. This connection doesn’t have to be positive, since Arthur did had a tough relationship with his son for being far away from him. While Kirsten did undergo a positive influence of having a father figure like Arthur around.  These two characters are polar opposites of each other: light and dark, good and evil, yin or yang. These are good descriptions of how they are against each other but at the same time are connected also.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/to-live-and-die-by-the-sword-of-faith/#comment-551

14. Profile photo of AdrianAdrian

I really how the book got many of us thinking especially Nickolas. Each part got him thinking about each character and how they played a role in the story. And I really liked where Nickolas says “They’re the two opposite ends on the spectrum of light versus darkness or good against evil”(Nickolas). To describe the protagonist and the antagonist of the story like that is very interesting. Enjoyed reading upon the the roles the key characters played.

15. Profile photo of blanca borquezblanca borquez

For this last post I will have to chose Chris H.’s blog, “When it’s all said and done”.

Reason why I chose his post is because he goes over basic themes that we went through when we did the worksheet. I remember I wrote down death and survival.  “When you think of how the world’s changed in your lifetime, what do you think about?” “I think of killing.”(265).  The way he expressed himself about how death and survival was looked upon on caught my  attention overall. Those who survived always came across death and each and everyone one of them had to deal with it one way or another. In the end, Chris reminded us that there is hope rising again, maybe the people are trying to go back to something similar or remotely similar to what they had. Maybe their relatives are alive somewhere else. “but it is possible that somewhere there are ships setting out?” (Mandel 332) This quote show s that people all over are setting off to reconquer the land that was once theirs with hope of a new and positive life.  It makes me wonder what will happen next. I kind of wish there was a little more to the book.