Class Discussion #3: “People’s Choice” Posts for “There Will Come Soft Rains”

Just like we did for the previous two short stories, I would like everyone to read through all reading response blogs on “There Will Come Soft Rains,” choose a favorite post, and explain the rationale for choosing it.

Just like we did last time, share the post/excerpt/rationale by “commenting” here on this post. Don’t forget to link to the post you are citing (please provide the link in the same comment: don’t make a separate one with just the link).

Comments should be made no later than Sunday, 10/1, and the one with the most votes will earn the coveted “People’s Choice” honor! I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose, and why.

21 thoughts on “Class Discussion #3: “People’s Choice” Posts for “There Will Come Soft Rains”

1. Gemanna

Reading through the class posts analyzing “August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury, I really found it hard to choose just one blog! I very much enjoyed Daniel’s post because he organized his analysis and thoughts into segments like “structure” and “metaphor”. The part that I chose to bring attention to was where Daniel discusses the use of personification and how this vitally correlates to the overall piece, due to the absence of humans or actual life in the story. All the life is given to the machinery, from the voices and tapes in the walls to the cleaning robot mice.

“The purpose here, I think, is to show how inhospitable and inhuman this environment is, an environment that was supposed to serve mankind continues without him (for a while), hollow and without purpose, mocking mankind: the inventor surpassed and destroyed by his own Frankenstein invention.” (Daniel, Par 3)

Our creations continue on without cue or human life to cater to, as they outlive us and nature outlives it all. And just like the electric routine in the home persisted even after the world had seemed charred and ruined, the absence of mankind goes unnoticed and unmissed!

Link to Daniel’s blog:

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/lasciate-ogni-speranza-voi-chentrate/

2. Kina

I agreed with what Ita Flores said when she wrote:
    ” nature does not care. Humans, could as a species become completely extinct, but it really wouldn’t matter to nature. Life goes on after us, it’ll just pick up where it left off. Humans like to think of themselves as more important than we really are, but honestly it’s not that deep. We destroy each other for things that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and expect other to be perfectly fine with those decisions, to see them as logical and reasonable.”
    I believe what Ita said. Nature itself does not depend on Human life, but Human life is dependent on nature. I do believe that as Humans we feel that we are so Superior that even nature would die off; nothing would continue to exist without human life. We tend to forget it is because of nature that we have survive this long. We forget that nature, was here first. That for our even being alive nature had to be perfect for our development. Nature had to be here first for us to exist. I think Ray Bradbury’s story, expressed just how nature will go on if all the humans in the world were to be extinct, at the end of it on page 4 when the one wall that was left standing with the speaker mounted on it announced “Today is August 5, 2026, today is August 5, 2026, today is…” [Bradbury, 4] It show that a day has gone by and the world is still spinning even though the Humans are not around.

3. Sebastian Garzon

I agree with what Ita Flores said about how nature will continue to live on without human live. In the blog, she posted two images. One shows an empty power plant, where nature has started to grow inside the building. I especially loved the second image. It showed a human being speaking with mother nature. The human begs forgiveness to mother nature and she accepts. However, she doesn’t care because nature will live on without humanity, again like before. I like her discussion with her idea of nature vs humanity. From what I understand from this novel and her blog, she makes this connection with the house because it continues to its daily tasks without the its residents inside.
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/nature-doesnt-need-us-not-late/

4. Jeffrey Liang

The blog post that caught my interest was by Ita Flores. What Ita says is true; nature doesn’t need us. Looking at everything that we have done to our planet from deforestation, pollution, nuclear fallout, most people really don’t care about the planet. If we look around where we live, where we work, parks, cities, everywhere we see litter. That alone is enough to show how much some people care about the planet that they live on. There are also the companies which are doing much worse than the people that you see everyday, some polluting the ocean and others polluting the air which we all breathe, but as Ita said life will move on with or without us. If you googled Fukushima mutations you can see the damage that we have caused to nature. Even though the damage done to the area is severe life moves on regardless of whether or not we are even there.

5. Samuel

The post caught my eye was Daniel’s post. The title “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate” I didn’t know what it mean, but it caught my interests, so I google translated it to “Abandon all hope, you who enter here(Italian)” this was interesting title. As I read it, I never thought about the Cold War and Nuclear War around 1950, which does resemble the reason why the video “There Will Come Soft Rains” was snowing. The translation of that poem at end of post was very striking. My favorite part “Justice inspired my exalted Creator: I am a creature of the Holiest Power, of Wisdom in the Highest and of Primal Love. Nothing till I was made was made, only eternal beings. And I endure eternally. Abandon all hope — Ye Who Enter Here.” It sounded this creature or being they refereed to is higher being, but before it came to be was darker sense. This is interesting to me since how it words “endure eternally” I think it mean this being lived for eternally, but it endured being the only one that lived so long watching other die before it is like punishment itself.

Link: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/lasciate-ogni-speranza-voi-chentrate/

6. Dheeraj Surujprasad

As I was reading through the blogs, one of the ones I liked was by Stevens Jean right from the beginning. As I kept reading, there is a deep realization for reality when man no longer exist that I would like to agree with. “I think it mostly has to do with the fact that there will be a time where the human race will sooner or later cease to exist. It’s that kind of depressing feeling that gets even weirder when you realize that once they’re all gone. Time will go on without them. As many of us know, time waits for no man or thing. Days go by, nature goes on and the and things that once were, such as the things we leave behind will sooner or later be gone by deterioration .” I wrote in my blog that in the current time we love to fantasize and act upon making advanced technology that will do all the work for us, but when we’re gone from this world how will those creations by us work? I think what is written here by Stevens is a pretty accurate piece of what can happen. Along time, technology continues to move on without us whether it depends on us or not to succeed. But it’s like I said, everything does end, and technology is part of that like mentioned by Stevens when he states “…everything has an expiration date. Everything has a big fat END to its lifespan that anything or anyone will inevitably reach. And as that time comes, time goes on without them regardless.” I would like to agree with that, without one or the other, they will not exist. Us Humans also depend on technology as much as it depends on us. However life chooses to continue onwards is a different path.

Stevens Post: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/the-post-god-era/

7. blanca borquez

I have chosen Ita’s post on “nature doesn’t need us”

Her post shows the readers an insight as to how us, as “humans seem to forget that nature does not care.”
    Hurricanes will keep happening, tornadoes, volcanoes, rain, snow, hot summer days just as cold winter ones. The only effect that humans have done to this earth is pollute it. Of course it is our home, but a lot of people take that for granted. Ita posted two pictures in which the one that caught my attention was the one where there was a child asking for forgiveness for everyone because of all the damage and how we all end up blaming mother nature for everything. The thing is that nature does not need us. Just like the picture said, we are killing ourselves. Nature will always adapt and change for the better, for its own benefit. Not for ours. This world can do perfectly fine without us.
    But lets hope that we and our descendants stay here as long as possible.

8. Anoop

I agree with Ita Flores’ blog post strongly. “Humans seem to forget that nature does not care.” (Flores, Paragraph 2), I believe is a strong understatement. As shown in the story, even after such a disastrous event destroying everything around, nature still picks up and resumes itself whether humans are around or not. The disastrous effect on the city and area was a direct cause of humans, and mother nature did not have anything to do with it, although nature will always try to fix itself again.

9. Heder Pastuizaca

I have chosen Stevens Jean post, “The Post Good Era”.
    Jean’s post really drives home this idea of everything will eventually come to an end. In his post he says, “Everything has a big fat END to its lifespan that anything or anyone will inevitably reach. And as that time comes, time goes on without them regardless.”. I agree on this hundred percent and that when all of humankind perishes either by natural causes or man-made cause, like George Carlin once said, “the planet will be here for a long, long, long time, after we’re gone and it will heal itself and it will cleanse itself because that’s what it does, it’s a self-correcting system.” At the end of the day, the only thing left by us humans will be only remnants of machinery and products that take a long time to break down, a distant memory of what once was, a highly intelligent lifeform by our only standards.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/the-post-god-era/

10. Timothy Rivera

In “There Will Come Soft Rains” the blog that stood out the most to me was Adrian’s. This is because he made me think about the story in a different way from the way I originally thought of it as. For example, I thought the story was about the ability for the home to survive and be the only home to do so. However, Adrian read through the lines/more in depth and said he thought the story was about “how man and technology are once working together for a purpose but if one, in this case, man are taken out of the equation there is no purpose after all”. This was really interesting to me because it made sense considering that once no one was in the home, the narrator personified the clock to desire the people’s attention, the ones who lived there causing me to believe Adrian’s main point.

(

11. Crsoto

I chose this post partially because i appreciated the fact that he stated the literary elements the author used in the text and then briefly discussed each one. It is very helpful to do a close reading of a text with knowledge of this. I mostly chose this text because he took this text from a time where people were scared of nuclear warfare and then reflects that with the current global issues with President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-Un, the leader of North Korea.

12. Stephen D.

I enjoyed reading Daniels Blog as it put the whole short story into a perspective. It was interesting to see the way he explained the personification in the story. The way he explained as the human reader, are left empty handed, insignificant and confused makes you think the story in a different light. Now looking at his statement I see the house and world empty and that changes my whole perspective on the story.

13. Imani

As I was going through the posts, I would say my favorite would be Ita’s. Just the name of her title gives it away. As she pointed out, the house was like a utopia, it was ‘perfect’. I liked that she pointed out we as humans are the cause of disasters such as hurricanes because of global warming but rather than acknowledge the fact that as a human race we are harming or [planet an doing something wrong “Like uncomfortable guests at a dinner party argument, we remove ourselves the situation..” I personally didn’t even know that hurricanes were the cause of global warming. Learn new things everyday right? “Humans, could as a species become completely extinct, but it really wouldn’t matter to nature. Life goes on after us, it’ll just pick up where it left off. Humans like to think of themselves as more important than we really are… We destroy each other for things that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and expect other to be perfectly fine with those decisions, to see them as logical and reasonable.” I agree with her statement completely. No matter how much we kill ourselves, reconstruct nature, nature will always be here. I also like how in dept she went and the two pictures she used. She put in a lot of effort.

14. Terry_L

I would say Ita’s blog post is my favorite. In the beginning of her post, she took the excerpt of the poem from the article which directly hit the important point of the article, this greatly increased my curiosity on continue reading her post. Another thing I like about her post was that she added the pictures which greatly connected to her response, such as the Picture of “Abandoned IM Power Plant in Charleroi, Belgium”, this greatly express the desolation of the place without human beings, which was the scene that the author of the original article wanted to show us the most.
    In Ita’s post, she mentioned “Humans, could as a species become completely extinct, but it really wouldn’t matter to nature. Life goes on after us, it’ll just pick up where it left off” (Flores’ Paragraph 2.) I strongly agree with her opinion, it is correct that we might mean nothing to the nature, even human beings were all gone from the Earth, it just don’t matter to the nature, after the regulation of nature, there might be another type of living things appear and continue living on this planet.
    She also mentioned “In this lack of humans, the house is personified and seems almost like a dog waiting for it’s master to come back” (Flores’ Paragraph 3.) I agree with this, too. Without human beings living in the house, the smart house was just repeating the same things everyday, advanced technology suddenly be meaningless due to the extinct of human beings, loneliness immediately fulfilled the entire smart house.

The link for the blog post is attached below:

15. sharielibreros

I strongly agree towards Ita’s post of how the house is just a response to no matter how advanced technology will become to the point where we think it will outlive all of humanity, it too will one day be over come by nature. Just like us, we cannot control or fight against nature not matter how much intelligence or high quality the house has, the world/nature will only continue on and fix itself as if nothing has happened. And with of the images Ita has posted, it’s true that in the end we are only killing ourselves as a result of all of this.

16. Adrian

I like what Penina said about man versus technology and that even though the house didn’t have a human being inside of it, it remained functional. This may sound like the house “miss” human interaction with the people who reside in the house and recreates the activities that the Featherstone family used to do. I agree with Penina’s comment where Penina says “Though the home was able to accomplish so much, there was no use to it, due to the absence of human life” (Penina). I like how the house does the things that the family used to do in the while they reside there. In their 2026, human beings were wiped about and the only house remained was the house where the Featherstones used to reside.

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/man-vs-technology/

17. Daniel

Having been chided by the fall of the Open Lab site on Monday night, I promised myself to start my blogs and comments earlier, which I did today. I read each and every “reading response blog” carefully and printed out the blogs that I liked the most, rereading them and underlining the most significant sections. In conclusion, I can say one thing with certainty: ….”mucho trabajo!”
    However, the blogs were worth reading, and rereading until fully understood, and many good points were raised in them, which I will address forthwith.
    As my favourite post was Gemanna’s and as Gemanna favourite post was mine, I am now duty bound to dispell any suggestion of “quid pro quo”. Thus, my hard work today will stand me in good stead in my defence.
    Ita Flores: “We destroy each other for things that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and expect others to be perfectly fine with those decisions, to see them as logical and reasonable” …not only very true but also very well put! I like the juxtaposition of the house and nature and the juxtaposition of the house, personified as a dog waiting for his master and the real dog …”The real dog foreshadows the oncoming death of the house”..clever!
    I liked Ida’s use of imagery, we should learn from her!

Stephen Jean: I liked Stephen’s handling of our reaction to our mortality as a race…”There will be a time when the human race will….. cease to exist. It’s that kind of depressing feeling that gets even wierder when you realize the once they’te all gone. Time will go on without them”. Humanity as merely a phase of evolution on earth, much like the dinosours! “…destruction is always followed by creation….sooner or later, the human race will cease to exist, but in our place, new things will grow. I mean , who knows, maybe a new race of intelligent beings will sooner or later, find our remains…” Hear ye! hear ye!

Stephen D: Stephen quoted Amit Rays “Earth is the playground of our children and their children. We cannot allow it to be the playground of the nuclear arms of the evil forces”
    Reading Stephen D’s blog made me suddenly realize that if we (mankind) cannot prohibit the development and use of nuclear weapons, we have only ourselves to blame for the future nuclear war that will inevitably happen! There has to be a global authority that has the power to enforce a total ban on nuclear weapons! There is no other way!

Nickolas: Your last two paragraphs are powerful: “We humans are an intricate, yet controversial species…We have the potential to evolve , yet we devolve all the same…”

Penina: “….If the story was about a human survivor after the nuclear annihilation of mankind, it would be a story of perseverance, of the human learning and adapting to the situation, not repeating the same task over and over.” Our technological creation is quite stupid and in our absence that stupidity mocks us.

We have this juxtaposition of technology and nature in the story, but is technology not but an offshoot of Physics which in turn is the study of nature (natural phenomena).

Gemanna: When I first read Gemanna’s blog on Monday evening, I was struck by the skillful use of words and said to myself “Wow! This writer is destined for bigger things”. Words are like the small individual tiles of a mosaic, we do not want to see them when we look at the mosaic, we want “the whole” to be bigger that the sum of it’s parts (gestalt).
    “Bradbury shifts us forward in time and displays the wasted, electric junkyard that is the remains of what once was humanity before an apparent nuclear explosion”. It’s a very manageable sentence but it conveys so much: 1) the reader is propelled into the future as if on a time machine to see: 2) a wasted electric junkyard (evokes a strong yet familar image and the words go together well)…3) that is the remains of what once was humanity (it explains the junkyard,it’s balanced and it flows!)…4) before an apparent nuclear explosion (no presumption of what happened). Gemanna got a lot into one sentence but without making it akward. Nothing gets stuck in reading, we get the feel for what is being described without getting hungup on any particular word.
    “Bradbury helps us visualize this eerie, mechanical ghost town as the permanent daily routines of the house persisted and catered to no one”. Again “eerie, mechanical ghost town” souds like an abandoned Coney Island. “The permanent routines of the house persisted (a strong opening to the sentence) and catered to no one” ….and then the sentence falls on its face to underline the futility of this “smart house” (used in other blogs).
    “our endless technogical progressions and it’s dwindling effect on our emotions and actions”
    “Our precious technology that we will constantly evolve will outrun us all, and nature will eventually swallow up the remaining evidence of whats left”

O.K. Midnight is upon me again…time to call it quits!

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/belli-f2017-eng2001/in-the-wake-of-our-death/