Class Notes from Tue. 8/29

BTW, I took notes on as many of my colleagues as I could. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get everyone or every bit of info about them though. I apologize in advance for leaving anyone out, misspelling the names of individuals, or leaving out/mistaking some information.

Jordan: Major- Liberal Arts in Science. Mostly Biology and some Chemistry. Fun Fact- Jordan stutters.

Patrick: Major- Mechanical Engineering Technology. Fun Fact- Patrick likes paleontology and related biology.

Kainat: Major- Liberal Arts in Science. Fun Fact- Kainat fainted on a roller coaster and the ride had to be stopped so she could get off.

Shaquina: Major- Human Services. She likes to read anime.

Timothy: Major- Liberal Arts. Timothy took this course because it’s a requirement. By taking this class, he hopes to write with more structure. Timothy likes to travel.

Melissa: Major- Fashion Marketing. She took this class in hopes of improving her writing. Melissa likes to sew.

Adrian: He likes to hang out.

Sebastian: Major- Computer Engineering. He’s from Colombia. Sebastian transferred from Queensboro. He likes to eat food.

Christopher: Game Designer. He’s a great storyteller.

Blanca: She likes Dragonball and wants to do something related to military.

Terry: Likes the rock band, Linkin Park. Likes skateboarding.

Jeffrey: Major- Liberal Arts. Jeffrey likes to play games.

Samuel: Major- Math Education. Samuel likes working with students.

Heather: Major- Computer Systems. He works at a club with a friend.

Steven: He’s a Senior and likes to build stuff, especially computers.

Paneena: Chemistry. She likes to draw.

Imani: She likes to do hair.

Chris: He likes long drives and walks on the beach.

Professor Belli: This is her 6th year at City Tech and her 13th at CUNY. She likes books and writing. The professor taught science fiction and is writing an academic book. Her favorite book is 1984.

Once again, I’m sorry if I misspelled any of your names and unintentionally left out or got some info wrong.

Due Thursday 8/29

Read papers handed out in class on Tuesday. Go over the syllabus, the grading rubric for blogging, and the English Department Learning Outcomes handout.

If you haven’t done so before, sign in to OpenLab to become a member. Join the course’s site. Become familiar with using OpenLab. Check OpenLab regularly for assignments, updates, announcements, etc.

Read and annotate the two passages given in Tuesday’s class: The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin and For Better Social Skills, Scientists Recommend a Little Chekhov by Pam Belluck.

Remember to get a hard copy of both post-apocalyptic novels, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. This is very important because the novels are meant to be brought to class.

Remember the following, which is the course’s grading policy:

Participation: 10%

Exams: 20%

Essays: 40%

Blogging/OpenLab Composing: 30%

For more info, questions, or help on anything pertaining to the course, check OpenLab’s Schedule frequently or contact Professor Belli by office hours (Tuesdays/Thursdays 3:45-4:45PM after class) or e-mail (jbelli@citytech.cuny.edu)

3 thoughts on “Class Notes from Tue. 8/29

1. Profile photo of Jill BelliJill Belli

Thanks Nick for taking these notes! Can you revise this post (just click “edit”) to include a few more things:

-Title of the post (e.g., Class Notes from Tu 8/29)

-Category (uncheck “Uncategorized” and check “Class Notes”)

-Notes from the rest of class (you only have notes from the introductions, but we discussed a lot of important details the rest of the class, such as the the syllabus, books, grading policy, OpenLab, etc.

Thanks 🙂

2. Profile photo of Jordan JPJordan JP

Thank you for posting your notes about me Nick. I would like to correct and add to the information you have about me. My name is Jordan, my major is Liberal Arts and Sciences. I have an interest in most science fields, but I am mostly interested in Biology. My favorite colors are gray, black, green and blue. I like spending my free time playing video games, going out with my friends and family, playing sports such as soccer and working out. Just in case everyone forgot already, I am known to stutter from time to time.