I was at the Science Fiction Symposium from 1 30 to the end of the roundtable segment in which I took part of. Overall it was a very interesting experience for which I was saw many different aspects of science fiction, both from those who write and tech it and follow students who are learning with me. Many of the things said at the round table were things that I agreed with but would not have perused as far as they did, such as the idea of terraforming and if it is wrong to do so on other worlds. Or the idea of marketability of an IP, based on if it has too little lore and look like a money grab vs if it has much lore and is done to add to the existing lore like Warhammer 40k vs that star wars prequels. Side note I do not really see anything wrong with the prequels, they started what we saw ended in eps 4-6 of the film and it was done in a way that made sense, Also really loved the ships in those, they were new, slick, chrome and were nice to see. At the round table many people shared what they loved about the genre and how they came to it. Shows and films like Star Wars and Star Trek were brought up as well as what they are watching or reading now like dark mirror, west-world and others. So now I have new shows to look at and think about. We also talked about our research projects and everyone was able to express their ideas that they were following. Everyone was great on the roundtable, however I would go off track or on for too long with something like the 3d printers and how they are starting to look like the star trek replicators. Also we kept going to the machine stops as point of reference to the point that is was getting old, but it had great points to it that everyone could use to tie in with and shows how good of a short story it is. It was also interesting to see how people’s majors helped to shape how they see the genre and what thy look at within it. Overall it was a nice look at what others see and think about when asked the same question about Science Fiction and all the response that were different from each other and yet could be tied together by the same string. Also I really enjoyed to be a part of the event and would most likely do it again.
The panel that was before was also very informative upon subjects of interest such as happiness and how historians could use Science Fiction to better understand ideas of the people involved in the past, why they did not see something as import to record or why certain events are obscure. The idea of happiness is also very interesting because it seems simple however to actually make people and organizations go after these ideas is difficult. Even the military has tried to make a happy psychology course in their training but it is seen as too spiritual because it borders on what many religions tried to do. And people said that those who do not believe in religions would not be able to pass, while the military has said it is not in the way and is meant to bring people together. Everything is more connected then people think and Science Fiction can be applied everywhere.