Hey, I feel like this is an especially *warm* way to welcome me back to the world of blogging. Sorry for the lack of posts people this will all be remedied soon.

Nelly would *love* this house.

So where to start? Clearly this is a post-apocalyptic tale. How far removed from the end of the days, we don’t quite know. An interesting little tidbit was the part where the house recognized the once plump dog even when it withered away which leads me to believe it hasn’t been too long since the end of the days. Another interesting tidbit (I’m really digging that word tonight) was the constant announcement of the time. It was neat at the beginning but deeply unsettling the more and more you realized no one was coming to respond to it. And when it finally got to the end you realized it was a countdown and those are only good twice a year…

Yes it was a countdown to the house’s apocalypse; the end of the remains of the perceived end. There’s something beautiful and poetic in there somewhere but I’m the wrong guy to try and put that into words. Maybe something to do with our indelible mark on what we call home. Even in the end, we’ve built a legacy that will long outlive us. Maybe my favorite thing about August 2026 is that it doesn’t paint us in any particularly bad picture (nuclear annihilation aside of course). A family was enjoying a day out tending to chores and playing games when death came calling for them. It’s another smart sci-fi text that paints us as our own villain. Technology is what we make of it and ultimately we will be the undoing of ourselves according to the story. But that doesn’t incapacitate our ability to do something right.

I’d just like to highlight the house before I wrap this up because it kind of has to do with one of the points swirling around in my head. It’s not evil. After reading The Machine Stops, it was very easy for me to walk into this text, see the house was sentient and assume the worst. But the key word for me there is sentient. It’s alive. It calls out, it helps, it tends but like a loving grandmother. It never hindered anyone’s ability to do anything, as evidenced by the imprint of the family on the outside of the house. This is a good thing. In a barren world we were able to build something sturdy and good. Even in the end, it refuses to go out.