Sources

1) Jancovich, Mark. Defining Cult Movies: The Cultural Politics of Oppositional Taste. Manchester: Manchester UP, 2003. Print.

This source, holistically, looks into cult followings of texts ranging from many different genres and talks about the elitist mentalities that come with it. Specifically, there is a chapter that talks about Science-Fiction works and that fans claim “ownership” of these works. Trivia and knowledge of texts allow fans to claim ownership of Science-Fiction texts that they follow, both in constructing their fandom and influence on production of films.

This source is important for my topic because it helps with understanding the influence that fans have on texts. It also brings to light the idea of “cult followings” that happen from more obscure texts that aren’t as heavily marketed; which is a good comparison to make with more popular and culturally affluent Science-Fiction texts.

2) Jenkins, Henry. “Interactive Audiences? The ‘Collective Intelligence’ of Media Fans.” N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Dec. 2016. <http://labweb.education.wisc.edu/curric606/readings/Jenkins2002.pdf>.

This source looks into the ways marketing has become successful via different forms of media. It talks about how there was a shift in the way companies tried to market to the consumer and the new strategies they try to implement nowadays. Companies now assume that consumers are not mindless drones, and thus companies find ways to almost trick these intelligent consumers with various appeals; like with the first example that detailed the “rogue independent” in a commercial that is ultimately led into accepting the product.

This source, though not heavily involved with Science-Fiction entirely, helps with my research because it looks into how companies view the consumer. A link can be made with the cross platform of marketing that companies employ with Science-Fiction works, like with Star Wars and their cross-platform promotion of their products (on television, physical advertisements, goods, etc.)

3) Sobchack, Vivian Carol. Screening Space: The American Science Fiction Film. New York: Ungar, 1987. Print.

This source looks into the history of Science-Fiction as a whole. It talks about the shift of the ‘poetics’ of Science-Fiction to the ‘politics’ of it; how there is a difference in the subject matter and intention of these texts. The source goes into the idea that substance and style of newer works are different than Science-Fiction previously; “…aesthetics, politics, economics, technology, and social relations are interdependent cultural phenomena”.

This source is important for my topic because it’s nice to have a broader look at the change of Science-Fiction as a genre and gives some back story in how this shift happens. There are some elements in this source that also help me out with my previous inclinations, such as that there seems to be more of a focus on working in Science-Fiction into society as a social norm, rather than trying to make a point of our society (as the ‘poetics’).

4) Stephen Brown, Robert V. Kozinets, John F. Sherry Jr. (2003) Teaching Old Brands New Tricks: Retro Branding and the Revival of Brand Meaning. Journal of Marketing: July 2003, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 19-33.

This source talks about the idea of “retro-branding” that a lot of different brands are going through recently. “Retro-branding” is when you facilitate updated features to old brands to try and make them more viable to newer consumers. The source compares this act of “retro-branding” with two very different examples, to make their point in how universal this idea is. Those examples are the Volkswagen New Beetle and Star Wars: Episode I. The source also brings up this concept of the “Four A’s”: Allegory (brand story), Aura (brand essence), Arcadia (idealized community), and Antinomy (brand paradox).

This source is important for my research because it introduces a new concept to my diction for this idea of revivals that seem to be happening with certain brands. It also talks about Star Wars, and how it got revitalized to fit the newer consumer, and the shift in story telling and such that came with it as a result (with the “Four A’s”).

5) Tulloch, John, and Henry Jenkins. Science Fiction Audiences: Watching Doctor Who and Star Trek. London: Routledge, 1995. Print.

This source talks about the fandom that exist in both Star Trek and Doctor Who. It goes into many reasons why there are different fan groups for the series and how each generation of this fandom is different than the last. For example, Doctor Who has multiple waves of fandom that happened as the series when on, and the source talked about 3rd Wave Doctor Who fans who are more lax with their approval of lore versus earlier fans. This source also talks about difference of demographics and their means of escape through these texts from being the ‘other’ in their own societies.

This source is important for my topic because it looks closely into fandom of two different Science Fiction texts, being able to compare and contrast the two. It also looks into both the effects this has on the evolution of the fandom and how the stories progress for each text. This will help me better understand how fans help out with heavily marketed Science-Fiction texts.

Initial Draft

1) Introduction

Science-Fiction has had it’s ups and downs throughout the years of it’s emergence. The shifts in focus and attention to the genre seems very drastic; compare Brave New World to the recent Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. This shift seems to be a result of the boon that Science-Fiction has had recently in popular culture and the marketability of these franchises. This piece will look into the effects of marketing and fandom on a text’s story and focus of intention of said text. The goal is to look into the effects consumerism (whether successful or not) has on Science-Fiction texts in the quality of the works and overall longevity of the intellectual property.

2) Main Claims

• Talk about the affects marketing has on consumers
  • Talk about the affects of fandom that is had on Science-Fiction works
  • Merge the claims together to look into how these affects get worked into Science-Fiction works recently

Reflection

I think I’m making a lot more progress than I did last time, and it was mostly a great result of what knowing what I needed to focus on. The personal conference I had with the professor got me knowing specifically what I needed to do by the next blog, which was to find concrete general sources about my topic of Science-Fiction Commercialization. I didn’t realize that I had jumped ahead of making claims that were not grounded to actual sources yet, so it was good to know that I should be first looking at sources related to it and getting ideas from there rather than assume for myself and look for sources that satisfied my assumption.

Next Steps

My next steps include, obviously, still finding more sources and organizing my ideas into what I want to specifically talk about for my project. I know what things I still want to look for, but the next step is to look into the answers to the questions I looked to want to address. In regards to the presentation, I feel like most of the progress I did over this weekend will greatly improve my case and hopefully it will be more reflective in the way I make my presentation.

Questions

One major question is if I necessarily need to find a counter-argument for my essay and how do I go about finding it?