As you have seen with my posts as a whole, 750 words shouldn’t seem to be a hard thing to do. And yet, I feel like it’s so much more difficult to write about myself in this specific post; a meta analysis of myself as a student versus an analysis of a text. The textual analysis seems easy to do and comes naturally to me, since it’s a narrow scope to work with and there seems to always be something interestingly specific I want to talk about from the readings. Though it’s not apparent, when you’re given a limitation to what to write about you usually write better contrary to what you probably believe. When you’re given no scope, then you don’t know where to start and the process becomes muddled and difficult to initiate…so I guess this rambling is a good way to start my reflective analysis since I’m a pretty introspective person in general who tends to go on tangents; this prelude speaks a lot about me.

When it comes to analyzing texts of any kind (books, short stories, comics, films, etc.) I always tend to look deeper into their significance, even before this class. It would be a lie to say that this class taught me to think about text in a critical way, since in my own “neurosis and OCD” (don’t really have that, but feel like I treat things that way), I actively seek out the connections and allusions texts make to either other texts or to the real world. However, that being said, this class is helping me with my issue of over-analyzing texts because I do sometimes tend to extrapolate far past the intended meaning of a text through. The strict attention to having support to claims and the amount of support you need for those claims is cumbersome for me, but also very good at grounding what I say in my analysis of texts; so for that, I appreciate this aspect that you highly emphasis us to do and am taking note to use this more effectively in the future when I read into other texts outside of this class.

One thing that challenged my assumptions was the fact that Science-Fiction can be used as a driving force for discussing ideas that people either do not openly want to talk about or about concepts that are difficult to grasp. Don’t get me wrong, I think that a lot of classic literature (those that remained timeless) tried to challenge ideas and serve a purpose beyond entertainment, but I didn’t take Science-Fiction so seriously in this regard. Case in point, Brave New World; I read this book before in high school, but completely forgot about it because I read it on my own, didn’t look into it, and practically forgot what happened in the book. I did not take it seriously, since it did not seem like it was trying to make a commentary (at least in my mind) compared to 1984, a book that I knew was attacking the ideology of Communism. I just heard on a whim that the two books were similar, so I read Brave New World on my own and all I retained from that before coming to this class was that “it’s a book about different sets of people based on how they were genetically manipulated”, coupled with a good plot. Now I know that it’s commentary, the major theme I took away from it, was that the idea of manufactured, unified happiness seems to be the goal of our society. Moreover, I’m seeing this “manufactured happiness” in our own world, in our mass consumption of media, entertainment, and “escapes” (with drugs, alcohol, and even the internet); much different view from what I had about the book a few years ago.

This idea of using Science-Fiction to parallel our own lives will greatly play a role in stories and plots I’m planning to write for myself later down the road. As an aspiring, amateur writer (among other “amateur” ventures I tie myself into), I will definitely consider utilizing larger scoped messages in the work I want to produce. I believe with this added depth, my own work could be both enjoyable through entertainment and through introspective thinking; I would like to have it akin to solving a mystery or having a “tip of the iceberg” effect, similar to what Hemingway also conveys in his writing. (As you saw with the “Work In Progress” comic I lent you, you can see that I aim at manipulating the reader, but if I can also do that with purpose I believe it would immensely add to my writing [just another tool to exploit I guess…].)

Seeing as how I’m not sure what the other half of the semester entails, I don’t know what I’m looking forward to. That being said, I do like what this course has provided with us so far. I’ve liked every reading we have done thus far, so whatever is planned out in the future I will probably also like, assuming it continues to follow this routine and track. (And if the format changes, I assume it serves a purpose, in which case I’ll greet it with an open-mind regardless.)