I wanted to dive into a proposal that I feel encompasses some stories of science fiction. That is, that large corporations are the creators of both the world they live in and the revolutionaries who ultimately stand up to them. Corporations are indeed a driving force behind and economy, so some good comes from them. The revolutionary is the character in the stories who is affected by the actions of the corporations. They can be helped by corporations only to realize their true nature or be wronged by them, ultimately looking to take them down.  Lastly, the revolutionary never really defeats the corporation, for it is immortal. I’ll be exploring these points as I build up the archive.

Most corporations are represented as one of the antagonists of the story, all powerful and sometimes acting like governments, much like the Rosen Association in the book “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” Rosen Assoc. allows the bounty hunter, Deckard to examine their machines voluntarily, knowing that it’s his job to kill any android living on earth. They allow him to observe because they know how to manipulate and control. Deckard later learns on about their intentions with him, which drive him more to destroy their work. Even though all these  corporations obviously create jobs from their massive business, they are still portrayed as the stone cold entities with their eyes on everything.         A revolutionary never seems to think they are the one to bring change to the world, but that seems to be the case. In the film “I, Robot”, Detective Spoone is a techno-phobic cop who is helped by the corporation US Robotics. Spooner is supposed to find who killed one of its lead scientists, though he already has his suspicions of the robots. Detective Spooner isn’t aware of the journey he undertakes at first, but as the plot progresses, certain things about US Robotics become clear to him. This shows how ‘a hero is born’ under their circumstances.

Lastly, a crorporation never dies. They are the lifeblood of national economies and they will do what it takes to survive. The Rosen Assoc. will always innovate in making androids even though they’re illegal on earth. US Robotics will continue to pump out life-like androids as well, even if there is something wrong with them. The matter is, corporations will always survive and thrive due to their innovation on giving people what they want before they know they want it. Another example of this is the company Buy n’ Large from the kids movie, Wall-e. They are effectively the worlds only corporation and pollute the planet until it must be evacuated, by ships that they have built. Another corporation is Omni Consumer Products who privatize entire cities so they can provide all the services to the citizens, at a cost of course.

In all, exploring the perspective of the multinational corporation has always been an interesting one. Corporations create the conditions for change. They are the benefactors and bane of society. The people who eventually rise up against them have always had some sort of personal experience with these corporations. Lastly, a corporation is immortal, no matter who may have temporarily defeated them.

Bibliography

Dick, Philip K. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? New York: Ballentine Books (1968)

Grant, Stephen S. Corporations and Science Fiction. 2013 Retrieved from:

Corporations & Science Fiction

I,Robot. Dir. Alex Proyas. 20th Century Fox. 2004. Film.

Robocop. Dir. Jose Padiha. Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer. 2014 Film.

Wall-e. Dir. Andrew Stanton. Walt Disney Studios. 2008. Film.

Reflection

After missing the first assignment, I had some serious thinking to do. After our initial meet, I had come up with the idea of corporations in science fiction. But I knew had to go beyond their obvious existence and influence. I had to point something out and explain it even further. With that, i explored some older movies i have seen of the Science Fiction variety, where there is a large corporation in the plot. After landing on a couple of movies, I had seen some themes about these corporations and roles they play. I see how they create their worlds where they benefit, but all things come to an end.

This is where I observed that the conditions that these companies create, also make the conditions for someone to rise up against them. They continue to benefit from society until they have had enough, and it usually starts with one person. That one person would be Deckard from “Do androids dream” and Spooner from “I,Robot”. These guys didn’t intend on changing the world, it just happened to be the circumstances that affect them that have been created by the corporations. Lastly, the corporations always stay alive. They stay alive because society needs them and they need society. Society has the innate desire to consume and these corporations are giving them just that. They innovate to keep the masses in their consumerism while expanding power over the very same. It’s almost like servitude to the mighty corporations. These concepts feel like the right ideas to bring about the thesis  of Big Business in science fiction. They create their worlds and the worlds that will change.