Why I write..

Well I could state the obvious here and say I write because I’m told to, because I need to in order to pass my classes and show comprehension. I could also say I write as means of communication, I write in emails and text messages all day long. Really though I write as a form of expression, a form of release. Every form of writing we do is an expression, of a thought, a feeling or an idea.

I have always loved writing, as a kid I would collect dozens of notebooks and pads to scribble in or to write stories. I liked free writing because it was just that, free, nobody could tell me where it needed to be and I loved it. When I was 7 I had my Haiku about snow published in a book. As a teenager I started expressing myself more through poetry and have been ever since. I don’t write often but when I do its significant and relevant to that timeframe in my life.

There has never been a point in my life I remember disliking writing, i’ve always been the kid who excelled in english class and who’s writing skills were praised. Now though i’m writing to expand my skills, my knowledge and my potential to be hired which is why this major is so rewarding to me.

I guess the point is I write because it is apart of me, it’s who I am.

Below i’d like to share a recent poem I wrote for my daughter Ava when she graduated kindergarten this past June.

Download (DOCX, 85KB)

1 thought on “Why I write..

1. Pingback: Why We Write | Samantha's ePortfolio