City Tech Education & Career Preparedness

When I arrived at City Tech, I had big ambitions about the school. I was expecting it was going to be one of the best schools to come to for computer systems. I was wrong and highly disappointed when I walked in to class and wasn’t enjoying the class. I had a hard time understanding the professors so I would go to their offices but no one helped me either. It was hard to actually learn and understand when the professors didn’t really care much. Another concern was the elevators. It’s a school for technology yet elevators don’t work. It sounds a bit ironic. The curriculum here in City Tech was supposed to be the best one for computer systems but it is not. It isn’t even close to being amazing. They do prepare you sort of for the future but not really. We don’t have lab and internship classes. There was one to take as an elective but getting into that is difficult. It needs to be updated so much more. Jobs out there require us to have good verbal communication skills and to be able to perform task. How can we if aren’t getting the right education? A lot of changes need to arrive to this curriculum. I looked into other Colleges curriculum and found good and bad ones compared to ours and I will explain a few of them.

Of all the classes I took here, there were ones I loved and ones I hated. Some felt like I don’t need to know at all. We all start of off with intro to computers in City Tech which basically gives you a outline of what a computer is and how it works. Later on we take classes that relates to programming, networking, database etc. These are all fundamental classes that is only an intro class and won’t really help us in the future. We have to take precalculus and calculus who is only going to help the programming students but of course every student has to take it even if we aren’t doing programming. Would a networker need to know precalculus to solve a problem? It’s highly not needed. They teach us classes that aren’t gonna help us in the long run.

When we graduate and look for jobs, employers are going to make us perform a task. City Tech does not prepare ourselves for this. That is a major flaw they have. My closest friend who just transferred to City College this semester is loving it there. I looked up City College’s Curriculum and they actually have laboratory classes! This is a huge thing because that will actually help them when they graduate. Of course they also take a lot of math and they’re courses are more related to computers than ours. Our college isn’t even close to having that. Of course our school is better than some colleges as well. Brooklyn College’s Curriculum for example is a really disappointing. They have a curriculum where its hard to understand anything and they also don’t offer much there.

I even looked at the more expensive and higher up colleges. NYU Poly’s curriculum has everything we need. Labs and a wide arrange of classes. You can basically go in any route you want in that college. They are really organized and explain in detail what you need and when you need it. Our college isn’t even close to that. Our curriculum looks a little organized but sometimes it’s hard to understand what classes we need next. When we go get advised, we don’t know what class to take next because our advisors don’t really help us! They just say “ok” and don’t really give a proper guide on what to take.

My suggestion to my department is give us more lab classes and internships. This will really help us for the long run when we go apply for a job. We need to able to experience what it is going to be like when we are in the real world. With lab we can have more hands on experience will help us in the performance part of the interview. Another suggestion is to give us more computer related classes and less non computer related classes. We are here to learn about computers, not science, not math or anything else. And a MAJOR suggestion to the actual school is fix your wifi and elevators and think about installing escalators! It is not fun running up to the 11th floor.

Links:

Brooklyn College

City College

NYU Poly

Baruch College

Stony Brook University

MIT 

City Tech

Yale 

Harvard

York College

Hunter College