Lolita- 97-142

I always presumed that HH would have been the one to kill Charlotte due to his ways of describing how he would kill her. ” I knew that all I had to do was to drop back, take a deep breath, then grab her by the ankle and rapidly dive with my captive corpse” (86). I found it ironic that the way she died was not anything he did purposely to hurt her. Charlotte was trying to mail off three letters when she fell in wet cement and got hit by a car that  Frederick Beale Jr. was driving (98).

I love how HH at first tried to be a good step father to Lolita by not telling her that her mother have died. That showed a side that he put aside his true affectionate love he has for Lolita so she can enjoy her time at camp. Especially when John offered to get the policemen that he knew to locate Lolita up on her hike at the camp.

I feel that as the audience or being part of his “jury”, it is difficult to believe what HH say due to the fact that he constantly lies. HH made up the story where Charlotte and him where lovers before they got married. HH said that they had an affair with one another before Lolita was born thus making Lolita is biological daughter instead of Harold Haze. John and Jean gullible  as they are believe into that story because they based it on the rumors they have heard in the past. Then HH finally gotten the one thing he always wanted. The complete a lone time with Lolita. When HH picked Lolita up from camp, his and hers first reaction were too reconnect old times. “Well, you haven’t kissed me yet, have you?” (112). In this quote, Lolita expressed how HH “ceased” his affections for her by not instantly kissing her when they got into the care (112). Lolita is only twelve and I can not believe that a twelve year old child would be this active. Things turned to the worst when they went to room 342. HH slipped Lolita sleeping pills or “magic potion” as he calls it (122). When she woke up and they were both in bed, HH stated that Lolita seduced him (132). “Okay”, said Lolita, “here is where we start” (133).  I still find it hard to believe that a twelve year old would talk like that let a lone climb on top of an older man that is not her father.