Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov P34-97

“I knew that all I had to do was to drop back, take a deep breath, then grab her by the ankle and rapidly dive with my captive corpse”(86p).  The narrator obsession for Lolita has lead him to fantasize about murder Lolita mother Charlotte. He even marry Charlotte so he could say close to Lolita. The narrator show no remorse when he fantasize about murdering his wife.

It hurt the narrator really bad for Charlotte to take Lolita away from him. His wife was the only thing standing between Lolita and him. He came with this great plan to murder his wife. The perfect place, the perfect time to commit the prefect murder. The opportunity had presented itself for the narrator to get rid of his problem. He sees his opportunity like a lion preying on a wounded animal and goes in for the kill. His mind is telling to commit the murder but he could not do so. The narrator to go so far as to thinking about killing someone show how much he love and care for Lolita in the novel. The narrator even state that Lolita is the love of his life. The narrator imagine himself planning and committing the murder, then getting away with it.  If he had committed the murder, he could get away with murder, or he could get caught and got to jail. This mean that Lolita would been take away from him and everything else he has accomplish so far in their relationship.

“Simple, was it not? But what d’ye know, folks—I just could not make myself do it!”(87p). The narrator could not bring himself to murder his wife Charlotte. The narrator is many things in the novel but he is not a murder. Even though he like nymphet and would do anything to be with them, he could not commit such a crime like murder. There is no such thing as a perfect murder, eventually you get caught and have to pay for your crime.